five

I FOUND A FRIEND IN CLARK LEE

And last night, he was right: the bridge did come back, but he warned me to be quick when crossing it. Similar to the first time, it only appeared for a few minutes before disintegrating into particles of pastel mist, the evidence of its existence disappearing from Eventyde.

There's a lot I learned about Clark during those five hours we were stuck in the Other World (that's what we had decided to call it, because... what else were we supposed to call it?). He's just completed his second year of veterinary school in California, and when he found the injured fox behind a bush of thorns, he felt obligated to help. Stubborn and scared at first, the fox eventually warmed up when he realized Clark meant no harm.

"Saving the lives of animals," I said. "As expected from someone who has the same name as Superman."

He laughed, though the smile didn't completely reach his honey eyes. There was a flicker of something — bruised despondence perhaps — that had vanished just as quickly as I had noticed it.

Maybe we're more similar than I thought.

Clark has one older brother and two pet dogs. He insists that tomatoes are the devil's creation and prefers tea over coffee (this was followed by an intense debate where we ended up agreeing to disagree). And, as it turns out, he's also on Eventyde Island on vacation with his friends, which led us to the conclusion that the bridge is specific to the resort. But there's still a lingering question regarding its visibility towards other visitors that neither of us can pinpoint.

I've made it my mission to discover the answer before leaving here.

The more I got to know Clark, the more I felt comfortable around him. There's something about the boy that made it easy for me to open up as if he had this sincere aura radiating from his tan skin and gentle smile. Talking to him was interesting, and though I'll eventually have to leave Eventyde Island, a part of me already knows that my first impression of him will stay with me for weeks on end.

╰ ☆ ╮

Staying at an island resort and studying for my finals is an atrocious combination.