Chapter 3

Hiding in a corner, I watched as a group of armed men patrolled the building while talking to each other. I stealthily rushed through the back undetected where I see a rusted ladder. Going up, I reached the rooftop and began the operation.

All this reminded me that Eri must be in a place like this. My heart clenched at the thought. I shook my head to regain focus again. I shouldn't worry much. Once we save Eri, I will be there by her side to help her. I have decided that I will devote myself to the poor girl. After all, I know what it feels like to be in her place.

I can still remember when I first manifested my quirk. All I knew is that it was dark outside and I was screaming because of a horrid nightmare. My parents barged into my room and my mom was suddenly clutching her head. I found out later that I've projected some nasty visuals from my nightmare to my mom.

We went to see the doctor and it was confirmed that what happened was because of my quirk. At such a young age, I don't know how to control it. My parents have no clue how to deal with me and were getting frustrated with my visuals. Thus, they resulted in calling me names that I didn't understand back then. But the way they said it always made me cry. They never just stopped with the verbal abuse though, soon, they would beat me up if I so much as take a glance at them.

One day, they dropped me off at the orphanage. They said something along the lines of giving me back. I discovered then that I was not their biological child. I was six. It took me three years to fully understand that mommy and daddy will not come back anymore.

My time in the orphanage is not what I expected. If there's one word I could describe it, it would be 'cold'. The supervisors were really strict and the punishments were harsh. We were not given toys and were forced to study and clean instead.

By the time I was ten, there was a charity ball of some sort. We were told that we'd be fighting one another using our quirks. Those who would win can earn a chance to be adopted by some sponsors. I can still remember the devastated looks of the quirkless children.

What we didn't know was that it was a fight to the death. Apparently, the orphanage can't keep up with the growing numbers of children and those who are killed will be assumed to be adopted by empty names. 30 of us fought and only 5 will survive- those five will be the most premium quality they said. I was unfortunately lucky to be one of them.

The one that took me in was a leader of a big underground syndicate. Killing six children that I grew up with left me numb to the world. The pain I had suffered while I plunged my blade as their eyes beg me for mercy would often keep me up at night. I detested myself for that to the point that I found no value in my life anymore.

When they took me in, they immediately put me in a cage with a few people. I was not given food nor water for a few days. Some of the people with me were dragged out and never returned. I understand then that it's the end of me and I welcomed it wholeheartedly. After all, I thought I don't deserve to live when my friends are already dead. There will be no future for me. Everything will be as cold and as dark as the cage I'm in.

Suddenly, one night, I heard the sound of an alarm blaring. The sound of the explosion rings through the air. Then, as the door opened, the brightness of the light is blinding. In step a man with a big smile on his face. I can still remember what he said then,

"Do not worry. Why? Because I am here!"

I can still recall the salty tears that unconsciously ran down my cheeks when I am lifted out of that horrible cage. I realized at that moment that deep within me I was still hoping for someone to get me out of that hell. And finally, someone did come. Death may come as a relief but to live is much more pleasant. Live and atone for the sins I had committed.