Alexandros went to the door and called on Katerina. He handed a single rose to her. It was very old Hollywood. She smiled and kissed him and went in for some moments, perhaps to put the rose in water and she collected her things and closed the door behind her so that it didn't reverberate. I felt a bit self-conscious now,  because I had curled my hair, was donning Diamanté, heels and a very unintentionally little I hasten to add, dress. Katerina was wearing a T-shirt and jeans. This was my first meeting of Katerina and Alexandros hadn't even mentioned her. That said, Alexandros had always liked to portray himself as a bit of a ladies man, and it was true, he was easy on the eye. However whilst I was very fond of him he wasn't for me. We had been friends a long time and wrote often and when I arrived in Athens, we always continued where we left off when me met up again. That felt so comfortable and I was grateful that we had that special bond. 

I wondered if I had overdone it sparkle wise, but we were heading to a nightclub. I didn't go clubbing so much now as my job took me away from home a lot, but I loved music and dancing. My favourite nightclub in Leeds; well when I thought of it and the adventures I had had in it, it brought back nostaglic memories. It was particularly so in Athens as Greece was my first abroad destination which I had longed for, for several years.  I first went clubbing with Alexandros in 1987 when it was just the two of us at the Club. I always remembered feeling all grown up with him at 17, being allowed to go to the club and dancing with him to Whitney's 'I want to dance with somebody.'

The four of us, here now with the lovebirds in the back, were strapped up and listening to Vassilis shout "Malaka" a lot over the car radio above the heavy drone of the Athens traffic. It was a derisory word he was flinging at other drivers, typically for men alone and it was a word used freely, that made Alexandros grin and his eyes sparkle.  What first struck me was all the honking car horns round about us. Vassilis added to the cacophony and his attitude at the wheel was, to understate the spectacle, it was an interesting experience of the true Greek volatile temper. Vassilis was the epitome of a Greek youth with fire in his belly.  Unlike Alexandros' long face Vassilis had a rounder face. My eyes were drawn to the way his hair grew. It was short and very spiky. It grew in a thick hedgehog fashion and was finished that way. Vassilis had what I can only describe as quite an abrupt and direct demeanour and although he smiled, he came over as being quite curt. He chuntered away aggressively at the Greek driving around him. Normally Alexandros chauffeured me everywhere when I visited but this was a new experience; a girlfriend and a night out with Vassilis. It was probably because of the time of year. 

None of us were big drinkers. I had known of Alexandros' male friends over the years. Dionisis and Vassilis were occastionally  talked about in Alexandros' letters but this was my first time I was to meet them on this visit. I don't recollect even seeing pictures of them but gave myself a mental telling off - really I should have learnt more Greek by now.

Dionisis was running late, but was on his way to meet us at the Club. I had to get out of the car, legs firmly together, so as I didn't flash anyone with this dusky pink, careful how you get out of the car short, linen dress that I had bought in French Connection. I suddenly felt acutely paranoid about its shortness and perhaps should have paid more attention when I bought it but I never enjoyed trying clothes on in the changing rooms! The mirror amplified all my lumps and bumps but this linen dress was also creasing before my eyes and lacked shape, apart from the odd dart here and there. It was the colour that drew me to it in the first place. I also could never turn down a bargain on the hanger. I had only really started to get a regular wage after leaving University and the wage was not that great. I had just paid off all my Uni debt. I had to watch my finances carefully.

Dionisis was standing on the pavement waiting for us and hastened over as the car drew up to the kerb. He greeted Alexandros warmly and I observed him as I secured myself safely clear of the car. Dionisis exuded a presence. He had light and warmth in his expression and a clear fondness for his friend that was captivating. There was a relaxed friendliness that was very attractive about him. He was tall, very tall. Alex was about 6 foot 1 and Dionisis clearly had the height advantage. Feature wise he was the most breath taking man I had ever seen. He greeted his friends with familiar smiles and they chatted in relaxed conversation, fast and animated in Greek.  My eyes betrayed me I was sure, for following his every move.