Chapter Sixty-Five

Start from the beginning

I flop down on the bed. Since Jessica and I stopped speaking, I haven't had a girlfriend to confide in about these sorts of things. It's frustrating that she won't talk to me, especially since I don't understand why.

"Look," Effie goes on, "I've never had a guy best friend, but if you like each other, what's standing in your way?"

I let out a heavy sigh. My whole life, I've strived to convince people that Damian and I weren't dating, that we were just friends, nothing more. If I give into these feelings now, then does that mean it was all a lie?

More importantly, was I trying to convince everyone else, or was I really just trying to convince myself?

"Let's not discuss Damian right now," I change the subject, propping my head on my palm. "Tell me more about you, roomie."

Over the next hour, I learn that Effie Holt, like me, is a bit of a loner. She's close with her older sister but doesn't talk to many kids at school. She only accepted Cordelia's invitation as a way to escape her family for the week.

I also discover something else: when Effie was fifteen, she was hospitalized for a month after being struck by lightning.

"I'm partially deaf in one ear," she says, "and my arms, legs, and back are covered in scar tissue."

"That's... insane," I murmur. "The odds of that happening are, like, one in thirteen-thousand."

"I know. I should start buying lottery tickets, huh?"

"You definitely should. You'd be an instant millionaire."

She chuckles, but her smile quickly dips into a frown. "You know, when Elowen was going off on us for all the terrible things we supposedly did to her, I really wanted to bring up the fact that my so-called 'friend' didn't visit me in the hospital after I almost died. I guess she was too busy being mad at me for talking to boys or whatever."

I think back to that terrifying morning and shake my head. "Yeah, Elowen said a lot of interesting things that day."

"So did you," Effie whispers, her dark eyes filled with curiosity. "What you said about your dad... is it true? Does he hit you?"

A smirk tugs at my lips. "I guess you're not the only one with scars."

<><><><><><>

The crackling fire holds me captive. I stare at the orange flames, focused on the fiery embers instead of the two boys sitting next to me. One hasn't spoken a word to me since we arrived at the cabin, and the other is scooching a bit too close for comfort.

"So, Layla," Jose says, his thigh touching mine, "I explored the trails a bit today. They're beautiful. We should check them out tomorrow."

"Maybe," I toss back, glancing at Damian, who looks downright miserable.

"I'm gonna get the booze!" someone announces.

"I'll help you," Damian offers, jumping to his feet without so much as looking at me.

I roll my eyes. If he'd rather spend time with a random meathead who he's known for five minutes than with his best friend, so be it. I don't care.

My mood turns sour, and the alcohol doesn't help. I swore off drinking for a while, but I figured one whiskey and coke wouldn't hurt.

I was wrong.

Two mixed drinks and several shots later, I'm stumbling back into the house, angrily mumbling to myself about Damian and what a piece of shit he is.