CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Start from the beginning

When we got inside the contractions were five minutes apart and I was immediately prepped for delivery.

"It's almost time to start pushing, Renee." Dr. Howard said.

"They're early, like really early but they'll be okay right? Alex asked, his worry straining his voice.

"They're survival is almost definite. I'm actually surprised you didn't go into labor sooner. Someone of your size and with triplets, should have went into labor a monthh agao." Dr. Howard answered.

Alex seemed pleased with his answer. He turned to me. "Do you want me to call everyone?"

I thought about it, then shook my head no. "I want us to have a little alone time with our babies. first. We'll call everyone after."

A smile brightened Alex's face.

Five hours later, we had our babies. Two little boys and a little girl. Born July, 2014 at 9:15pm, Antonio Jovani Donovan was first, at 9:18pm Augusto James Donovan was second and last was Angelina Josephine Donovan born 9:23pm. They were the same skin tone as Alex when they came out and had a head full of black hair. Tonio and Angie had hazel eyes while August's eyes were gray. If I didn't know better, I'd swear Alex was the father.

We spent an hour with the healthy babies before we called everyone. Andre arrived first, followed by Carmell, Nathan, Roy, and lastly, Mr. Donovan and Rae.

"These are your younger brothers and sister, can you say hi?" Alex said to Rae, holding her beside the bed.

"Hi!" She squealed.

"Aww." Carmell and I let out at the same.

When visiting hours were over, it was just me, Alex, Tonio, August, and Angie.

"Baby, I'm so proud of you." Alex said. "Look at them they're perfect." We looked at them as they slept in their separate baby beds.

Matthew

Walking through the hospital, I felt uncomfortable. I didn't want to be here, I didn't want to see those babies.

"Excuse, I'm here to see the Donovan baby."

I followed the nurse's direction and found the room. When I arrived, my father was walking out with a huge grin on his face. It started to fade when he saw me.

"Why are you here?" He asked.

"DNA test. Tell them I'm here so I can get out of here."

My father's face started to turn red. "Watch how you speak to me. Get in there in see your children."

"They aren't my children anymore. Signed away my rights, remember."

"Yes, well, you have the balls to sign them away then you should have the balls to look them in the face once." He pushed me through the door.

There were so many. Renee held one in her arms, Alex held one in his arms, and Renee's lawyer held one in her arms. The shock held me in place.

Someone cleared their throat.

"What?" I asked, getting over my initial shock.

"The nurse is here to swab your mouth." Alex answered.

The nurse swabbed the kids mouths and then mine.

"All done!" The perky blonde nurse said. "You wil each receive the results within six to eight weeks." Then she was gone.

"Well, I've done my part, I'm out of here." I said.

"I'll walk you out." Alex said, handing the baby in his arms to our father.

"What do you want, Alex?" I sighed with boredom.

"I know we've never gotten along but I want to give you some advice."

"Right, well make it quick."

"If I were you, I'd get a DNA test on Ashley's baby. She's not as-"

"Shut the hell up! Don't talk about her like she's some cheap whore. She doesn't sleep around like Rene-"

Alex punched me in the face.

I tackled him to the ground and a fight was had. It ended when hospital security pulled us apart and escorted me out of the hospital.

"You'll be hearing fom my lawyer!" I exclaimed.

I walked to my car and drove to the nearest bar.

"What'll it be?" The hot red head bartender asked.

"Scotch on the rocks." I smiled at her.

She handed me my drink, napkin with her phone number underneathe.

"What time do you get off?" I asked her.

"Five minutes, Big Boy."

"Your place or mine?" I grinned. My day was finally looking up.

Ashley

Everything was falling apart and I don't know what to do. The only people I could count on were my new friends.

"Hello, Mookie?"

"Hey, Suga."

"Nothing I do is working, how's it going on you end?"

He let out an irritated groan. "My informate is in the wind, ain't heard shit from ''em in a while."

"But you haven't stopped harrassing the bitch have you?"

"She changed her number again and honestly, Savannah not in charge no more. I don't see no point in continuing."

I started to panic. "What about Savannah?"

Another irriated groan. "She in hidin'. That guy she offed, turns out he as an undercover cop. A dirty one, but still a cop."

Oh no. Everything was really falling apart now. "Matthew's leaving me! I'm broke and pregnant and Alex doesn't want me neither." I cried.

"Take what you want, Suga."

His suggestion perked my interest. "How?" I whispered.

"Kill whoever standin' in yo way." He replied.

"I can't do jail time for murder, Mookie, I'm too pretty."

"You won't do jail time as long as you make it look like a accident." He said in a duh tone.

I nodded. Mookie was right, if I wanted the future I was supposed to have I had to get rid of that bitch Renee.