War Breaks Out

I

Okab's favorite street was Grand St. He loved it for one sole reason: his beloved lived there. After a brief encounter at a cafe, he could not forget her beautiful face. He managed to know where she lived, and he would visit Grand St. almost daily. She usually stood on the windowsill and watched the myriad cars pass by. Squally wind occasionally ruffled her hair and blew it across her face. Okab would spend a long time there mesmerized by her beauty. He'd hope she'd notice him, yet his hopes often flew with the wind. He was determined to seize her beautiful heart one day. It was his undying goal.

•••

Shaheen usually dropped Okab home after their working day was over. The two befriended each other since the earliest days in their career. They became close ever since.

"I must say, you seem quite shaken. What's up?" Shaheen asked Okab with concern as he casually drove the car.

"Haven't you been listening to the news? We're on the brink of civil war." Okab replied with a heavy sigh.

"Yeah I know. I just can't grasp that fact."

"What's even more frightening is that we're most likely going to be part of that war." Okab said darkly.

"Politics man, politics," Shaheen said exasperatedly, "those little bastards' hunger for power is insatiable. Even when the Resistance threatens to attack, they still insist on their tyranny."

"But that doesn't justify the Resistance launches the nation into war. The government could be reasoned with without the need for violence." Okab retorted, and Shaheen sighed.

"And who are we to impose our beliefs?" Shaheen asked in a defeated tone.

"We're more powerful than you think, Shaheen. We just need to realize our power."

Silence pervaded the car after Okab's words just like a death knell pervades the air. Even though he uttered the words with conviction, he realized how difficult that would be. All he could think about was what he would do if war actually broke out. He was petrified since he knew he will be called to service, and chances were his refusal was going to be fatal. The future looked bleak and bloody, and he was definitely not ready for what it had to offer.

Shaheen finally broke the silence. "Where did those hazel eyes wander to? Too much thinking isn't good you know," he joked.

Okab remained silent, his mind floating somewhere else.

"Thinking about your sweetheart, eh?" He nudged Okab in the ribs.

"No! I wasn't... I am... I wasn't." Okab stammered and Shaheen broke into laughter. Okab soon followed.

"She doesn't know what she's missing. A fine gentleman as yourself. Brown wavy hair, thick silky beard, hazel eyes, a powerful stature, good looks. Any woman would die for you man."

Shaheen laughed at Okab's blushing cheeks. He nudged him again.

"One day, you'll win her. You just have to believe you can." Okab smiled widely.

"Thank you, my friend."

"Now, off you hop. We have a busy day at work tomorrow."

"We indeed do, thanks for the reminder." Okab replied with dismay.

Okab lived alone in a shabby apartment. His parents both died in a car accident two years ago. Their death thrust him into the spiky conflicts of life denuded from every shield and weapon. He carved his way into a relatively safe and pleasurable life with excruciating effort and undying dedication. The woe of losing both of his parents did have its effect on him, but he never allowed it to hamper his progress. His next step was to stop living alone, and he had the perfect solution to that problem.