Chapter 1

"There called Ksame," our professor spoke to us. "They are anywhere from 3-13 meters in hight," the board behind him pulled up a picture of one. 7 meters tall, black eyes with fiery red pupils, human skin, but on the skin, where blood vessels should be, was liquid fire.
"They can control fire, thus causing mass destruction," the professor stated. This was the first day I was in the army, learning about the enemy and how to use my gear to kill them.
"Uh...sir? How do you propose we kill one?" A kid asked from the back of the room. "I mean, is it like...," he swallowed hard, "killing a human I mean?" The professor looked dead at him, like he was disappointed someone would ask such a stupid question.
"With these," he held up 2 frisbee sized discs made of metal. "These are Kyan Discs. They have a gomen blade that can cut through anything, and to answer your question, no. The Ksame can't die like we humans can. They are strong, but weak in one spot, the kill spot. The kill spot is in the small of there back," he turned and placed his fingers where it would be. "You can get up there with this," he held up a body harness with 2 grapple hooks at the waist. "You can shoot out the hooks into the skin of the beasts, then with your discs, go in and kill them in a slashing manner."
I lost attention to what he was saying and found myself staring out the window, watching a girl in combat training. She had long blonde hair the was put up in a pony tail, sea-green eyes, and was super skinny and fit.
"Damu das Galmare. Yakiv, pay attention to this class or you won't get to go to the one your so interested in." I've been caught. First day and I'm already getting yelled at.
"Yakiv, get up Galma chumike." I got up to find myself getting yelled at by Lavochnik.
"What do you want? I'm awake." I looked into his deep eyes and found myself tracing the gold flecks in his ocean-blue irises.
"Uh... why are you staring at me like that?" I looked away, my face getting so red and hot you could make scrambled eggs on it.
"Huah, it's nothing," I stated, but it was to late, he noticed. I quickly got out of bed and put my uniform on. Trying to change the subject I asked, "have there been any reports on the whereabouts of the Ksame?" Lavochnik looked at me puzzledly, "No," he said.
"Good. If you get a report, come tell me." I began to walk out of the room, but he grabbed my wrist.
"Wait! Where will you be?" He asked looking me head to toe and back again.
"In Dollaires' shop. I need to find something." He pulled me close to him, our eyes meeting at the same level. "Lavochnik, what are you-" at that moment he came in and kissed me right on the lips. He held it there for a good minute and then backed away.
"That, was for almost dying in that fire." I looked at him, a shocked expression on my face, my cheeks red.
"Euhh...." I smiled and then immediately put my head down and hurried out of the room.
* * *