45. A strange change

Start from the beginning

After a few minutes, we both were declared husband and wife once again for me which brought a huge smile on my face. She is mine now. She is going nowhere. I promise you Pia, to bring the Sharon back in you and love you unconditionally forever. My vision became blurry and I blinked back the tears that were threatening to fall. I looked at Pia to see her already looking up at me which made my smile grow wider. She frowned, probably seeing the moisture in my eyes and I blinked at her assuring her that I am fine. She gave me a small smile and shifted her gaze to everyone else.

We stood up together this time and took everyone's blessings. Mom and dad were happy and contented seeing us. I could see it in their eyes. Mom hugged Pia for a little more time than she did to me making me a little jealous but nonetheless, it made me smile at their already lovely bond. I felt dad's pat on my back bringing me out of my trance and saw him giving me a genuine proud smile. I know he is very emotional at this moment, I can sense it and I hugged him again, tightly this time.

After talking to, taking blessings from and greeting everyone else, we spent a good amount of time laughing among our gang too. She seemed off the whole time but I guess it's because of the time that's arriving. It was time for the Bidai and I hated this. Last time I had to go through this, it wasn't hurting that much because Sharon didn't had an immediate family and she wasn't attached to others so much but now Pia is very much attached to everyone here.

Pia hugged her mom for the longest, just holding her and sobbing quietly. I looked away not able to bear that sight. After sometime, when I realised she will not leave her anytime soon, I went and stood beside her. As if sensing my presence, both let go of each other. Mom turned to me.

"Before you say the same cliche dialogue, I promise that I won't let her cry ever again and I will do my best to keep her happy always" I promised just as she opened her mouth to say something. She smiled lovingly at me too, through her tears and Pia turned to her dad. After hugging him for her heart's content, she let go.

Now next in line was Sid and I am afraid now at her breakdown because he is the closest to her. To my surprise, she just hugged him briefly, though I could see Sid fighting his tears. She was pulling out surprisingly after just a few seconds but Sid held her more tightly and didn't let go. I found it very strange of her to behave like that. Sid finally let her go and I could see her guard up again.

"Take care sweetheart, I love you too" he mumbled to her with brotherly affection and she reacted with just a smile which looked more made up. I let it go, not wanting to push this now, especially when she is vulnerable.

I heaved a huge sigh of relief finally sitting into the car. Thank god everything went right and she didn't get any attack. I turned to her sitting beside me and continuously wiping her tears. I wanted to talk, to ask so much about her behaviour today but something about the situation or maybe her body language said me not to poke her now. I just took her one hand in mine and interlaced her fingers with mine. She looked out of the window, seeing the passing buildings and traffic and I let her be herself for now.

I lightly patted her shoulder when our car pulled in our driveway. She had fallen asleep with head resting against the window and I smiled looking at her form. She's so beautiful, so serene. She must have been so tired with the all the rituals all day. She jerked out of her sleep by my touch and looked around. As if the environment dawned upon her, she quickly fixed her appearance and I got down from my side.

I walked towards her side of the car to open the door but before I could reach for the handle, she opened it on her own and got down too. What is up with this behaviour of hers? Shaking the thought off, we both walked towards the entrance of the mansion where mom along with Taani and dad, my brother in law and all the close relatives were standing behind them. Mom had held the pooja plate and everyone had wide spread smiles on their faces.