2.2

»»»

It had been four days.

Taehyung hadn't stopped going to her front porch every day. Whether he came back from writing an exam or after a day of not doing anything. And he wasn't planning to stop anytime soon.
Not even her friends seemed to exactly know where Cassandra was. He had met them the other day when waiting for Jimin outside by his car. Alexa had only mentioned receiving a message from Cassandra, saying she would miss their first exam but having cleared it up with their professor. That was all though.
He thought about giving up and stop going to her house. However, he still went that afternoon. 

He was about to repeat the same prodecure he followed every day. Ring the doorbell, check if any blinds were up, try calling her on the phone and if it didn't work, he would go back home. This time though he only had to follow the first step.
Cassandra finally opening the door, when he was about to ring a second time.

It had been days since he had seen her face. She looked tired, like she had been crying. A lump forming in his throat. She seemed astonished finding him there, but she didn't say anything. Just kept staring at him with those big, brown eyes he had missed.
"Hey." His voice cracked. She didn't move, but she didn't slam the door on his face either, so he took it as a sign to go ahead with his plan. "I'm sorry about showing up at your house drunk last time," he began shyly, scratching the back of his neck. "And I understand if you don't want to talk to me anymore. But I'm still gonna ask you to lis-" Cassandra abruptly cut his apology speech off though, wrapping her arms around his torso. Taehyung feeling sobs against his chest.
Slightly confused, his arms embraced her smaller frame as well. Crandling her, while stroking her hair with one hand. He wasn't exactly sure what had happened that made her cry in his arms, but he decided not to say anything. He forgot about his plan and instead made her go back inside, taking a seat on the couch. She kept sobbing uncontrolledly, even though she was slowly calming down by now. But tears kept escaping her eyes, rolling down her flushed cheeks.
He sat down next to her, noticing tissues laying around on the coffee table, along with a teddy bear and a pack of cookies. The tv show she had been watching, paused on the big screen. He grabbed a new tissue and passed it to her. Cassandra thanking him quietly and starting wiping her eyes and cheeks. 

She took a deep breath then, glancing down on her lap. Fiddling her fingers, she was trying to think of what to say after having embarrassed herself for the hundredth time in front of him. However, she had to do her hardest to contain her tears. She hadn't been very emotionally stable because of her grandfather and seeing Taehyung suddenly standing there at her door, with this mop of waves and that grey hoodie, making him look all soft and cuddly, made her feel suffocating. She hadn't been able properly containing her emotions in that moment. She had missed him.
"I saw that you called me while I was gone," she said then. It wasn't her intention, but her voice only came out as a whisper. Taehyung nodded silently. "Sorry for not responding. I was.. visiting my relatives and I use a different number there."
"It's alright," he replied with a nod, relieved to hear she had only been visiting her family, "I'm just glad you're okay."
She pursed her lips, peeking at him. "Were you worried?"
There was no point for him in denying it. "I was."
"I'm sorry for worrying you then."
"It's okay."
"It's not." She exhaled deeply, tilting her head at him with a small smile. "Guess I owe you an explanation this time."
Taehyung shook his head though. "You really don't after how I acted last time."

To be honest, Cassandra didn't want to think of Taehyung. At least that was what she had been telling herself those past days. But deep inside she had been wondering how he was doing. Wondering if he remembered what had happened the night before she had left. Wondering if he had meant any of the things he had said. Wondering if he was lending his shirt to another girl, kissing her under the rain and asking her if that was too cliché.
For a moment she had regretted returning it to him. However, it was his and she had to move on. Having other things in her mind that day. But right now she was glad he was there. Because for some reason he was the only person she wanted to see in that moment. No one else.

"I still want to explain to you why I disappeared for a few days," she said then, making him perk up. He looked at her with furrowed brows, giving her a nod as a sign to continue. "Remember my grandpa? The astrophysicist?" He nodded. "He was often in the hospital these past months. Doing examinations. That's why my mum isn't here. She went earlier and I was supposed to follow in two weeks, after my exams. But she called me. Before you showed up drunk as hell at my front door." She giggled and he couldn't help but smile at the sound of it. At least she could laugh about it and wasn't mad at him. "Anyway," she continued then, her expression dropping. "After numerous tests they eventually found something. I don't remember the exact medical term, but it was near his heart. It looked serious, very serious. And they had to instantly do surgery. That's why I left. I wanted to be there in case.. you know. In case something happened and I wouldn't see him again." She felt herself tearing up again, swallowing hard. "Anyway, he's okay now I think. I'm not sure. He kept joking, saying it wouldn't matter anyway if he died," she let out a dry laugh. Too immersed in her narration to notice him staring fondly at her. Listening closely. "He's always like that. But I made him promise not to pass away anytime soon. Not sure if it's gonna work though." She was laughing, but Taehyung could tell this whole thing still upset her. She just didn't want to show it and instead joked about it.

"I'm happy your grandpa is alright," he smiled then, "But why did you cry then?"
She looked at him. His question taken her aback. Shrugging, she looked away then. "What if.." she said,  her eyes wandering up to him again. "What if I can't make it next time? He is quite old after all and you never know. What if I'm stuck here with some stupid term paper or exam and he suddenly passes away? Without me being able to say goodbye to him? Me and my grandpa are very close and I honestly don't know if I'll be able coping." Her tears were back and he instantly regretted his question. "I mean, I know I shouldn't think of that and stay positive, but somehow I can't after that surgery." He took her in his arms again, hugging her tightly. Knowing exactly how she felt.
"I wasn't there when my grandpa passed away," he admitted then. His eyes laying on something invisible while recalling the memories of his own grandfather.
"The one you had mentioned?"
"Yes." A shaky breath escaping his lips.
"I'm sorry to hear that," Cassandra whispered. Voice muffled due to the fabric of his shirt. "Were you close to him?" He nodded simply and she slightly heaved her head. Propping her chin on his chest. Sadness laying on his almond eyes. She hadn't realised how her rambling could have brought back sad memories to him. She didn't know what to say or do and this sight of him broke her heart. He always seemed so carefree and happy. But even someone like him had his package to carry. Just like her and everyone else.
Her hand reached out then, cupping his cheek. Caressing it with her thumb. It brought him back, away from his regretful thoughts. He looked down at her and smiled. Even if she didn't say anything, he understood her gesture. And it was enough to cheer him up again.

Cassandra snuffled then, sitting up straight. His arms still around her back. A mischievious grin spreading on her lips out of the blue. "You know what always cheers me up?"
He hummed, thinking for a moment while his gaze wandered around. "Not sure, but I'd guess either films or astronomy," he grinned. Making her giggle. "Correct. But also tv shows." She motioned with her head to the tv behind her. He chuckled. "I see." "Mostly sitcoms of course." "Of course. I prefer films though." "Understandable.. The ones on your book shelf?" His eyes widened, surprised by how she knew, before remembering she had been in his room twice. "Yeah, those. And even more. Some you own, too." She smiled widely.
"Say," she said then, pursing her lips. Her fingers unintentionally starting playing with the fabric of his hoodie. He noticed his heart beating faster at this, but chose to ignore it. His eyes wandering over her soft features while waiting for her to continue. "Would you stay and watch an episode with me?"
For a moment he simply looked at her, not saying anything. Her question reminding him of his that night he had been drunk. Which made him smile. "I would." His reply making her grin once again. "Okay, great! So this show I paused is about murder cases on a tropical island an-"
"Murder cases?" he cut her off with a frown and an irritated smile. "Didn't you say sitcoms cheer you up?"
"Uhm, yeah, but you see.. this one might be a crime show, but it's very funny. The characters are funny. So I kinda consider it a comedy-crime-show. You'll like it," she assured him and pressed play. Both spending the rest of the day binge watching one episode after another together.

Taehyung decided that his plan of talking things out with her could wait. At least for a few days. Distracting the moon from its dark side was more important right now. And having her in his arms, with her giggles against his chest, was enough for him. At least for now, until she wasn't sad anymore.

»»»