"Why," cried Wind as he took a leap back. "Why isn't she coming back?"

Stormchaser couldn't break this news gently anymore. "She's dead Wind."

"Dead," echoed Wind as his eyes filled with tears. "H-How?"

Stormchaser turned her head to the side. "I let the dragon go that killed your mother. It was my fault."

Wind shook his head and took a step back. "No. No."

"Wind," began Stormchaser but he was already running. He darted toward the nursery before he climbed the tree beside it, using his small legs to bolt up the tree.

Stormchaser began forward but Russet Feather blocked her path. "I'll try and coax him down. I understand his grief." She pushed forward and left Stormchaser hollow hearted and feeling terrible.

Darkflight padded toward her and looked to his sister. "You made the right decision for our kind, not their kind."

Stormchaser watched as Dream Berry darted around, trying to help those who were injured. Cold was helping her, flocking around the injured Fangs and pressing moss into their bleeding wounds. The older wolves were even helping as they stumbled around. Those who didn't have life threatening injuries clustered around Twilight Night and Fern.

Stormchaser was about to take a step forward but Darkflight leaped in front of her. "What are you doing," he snapped as his hackles rose a bit. "They don't want you there!"

Stormchaser narrowed her eyes. "I don't care! I want them to know how sorry I am for their loss." Darkflight tried to push her back but Stormchaser pushed back and barged past her brother and padded up to Storm Wind.

"Storm Wind I'm so sorry," breathed Stormchaser as she lowered her head into her shoulders as she stared at Twilight Night's battered and bloody body.

Storm Wind spun on her, rage showing in her eyes and his teeth bared in a snarl. "Get away from me! Get away from my pack!"

Stormchaser was a bit taken back. "But I-"

"I don't want to hear excuses," snapped Storm Wind and the pack turned to look at him and whimpered a bit in fear. "Now leave here and don't ever come back or we won't hesitate to kill you!"

Stormchaser frowned before Darkflight darted forward and pushed against his sister and steered her toward the entrance of the camp. "Go Stormchaser. There's nothing more for us here."

Stormchaser's jaw gaped open before she looked to Wind who was still up in the tree. "I'm so sorry Wind!"

She turned and darted forward with Darkflight following. They bounded through the forest and Stormchaser hung her head. "I'm sorry Darkflight. Coming here was just a mistake!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Swiftstream continued pacing with her head lowered into her shoulders as she growled. Skypacer sat beside her, her head turning almost completely around like an owl. "I'm sure they're fine," breathed Skypacer as she looked to her friend.

"But what if they're not," complained Swiftstream as she turned on her friend with her ears sticking up. "They haven't come back yet and I kept hearing howling!"

Skypacer took a few steps forward and butted her head against her friend's shoulder. "Have faith in your young. They have the heart and spirit of a Night Fury. They are cunning and resourceful. They know how to keep themselves out of trouble."

Swiftstream gulped before she heard the bustling of bushes. She lowered down and snarled with her spikes standing on end. Skypacer lowered forward and bared her own teeth.

Suddenly Stormchaser leaped out with Darkflight following. Swiftstream let out a breath of relief and surged forward, nearly tackling them to the ground. "Oh thank the maker that you're alright," she gasped as she licked Stormchaser and Darkflight madly.

"We're fine mom," assured Stormchaser as she pushed her mother away.

"Yeah we're not dead," pointed out Darkflight as he thumped his paw against his sister's shoulder in amusement. "At least not yet."

"I was worried sick," murmured Stormchaser as she pressed her nose against Darkflight's cheek and took in his scent.

"I'm sorry but we had some things to take care of," confessed Darkflight as he shuffled his paws a bit. "But we're home now and very tired."

Swiftstream stepped aside and waved her tail. "Go on in. I'll be in in a heartbeat."

Darkflight nodded and he strode in with Stormchaser following. Swiftstream smiled and looked to Skypacer. "I suppose I was worried for nothing."

Skypacer shook her head. "Mothers will worry. That's normal. However have faith in your young. One day they will rule the world."