Humans never change

third person

The young Faunus sat in Glynda Goodwitch's class, observing each fight while taking meticulous notes on everyone's semblances. He was currently focused on the battle between Jaune Arc and Cardin Winchester.

Cardin: "This is the part where you lose."

Jaune: "Over my dead—!"

Before Jaune could finish his sentence, Cardin abruptly kneed him in the gut, causing Jaune to drop his sword and collapse in pain. As Cardin raised his mace, poised to strike Jaune down, the sound of the buzzer resonated, the lights flickered back on, and Glynda Goodwitch's voice cut through the tension.

Glynda: "Cardin, that's enough!" Cardin relented and walked away, while Glynda stepped onto the stage, tapping her tablet "Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's Aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament-style duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer capable of continuing the battle, and the official may declare the match."

Y/n's POV:

I watched as Jaune struggled in the fight against Cardin. It seemed like Jaune had limited combat experience, even after weeks of training. I pondered if there was something I could do to assist him.

Y/n: "Maybe there's a way I can help him."

Blake: "What was that?"

Y/n: "Oh, nothing, Blake. Don't worry about it."

Engaging once again with the class, I resumed taking notes. As the bell rang, signifying the end of the session, I rose from my seat and gathered my belongings. Glancing back, I noticed Jaune hanging his head in disappointment.

Y/n: "Don't worry, Jaune. You'll improve."

[Small Time Skip]

Back in the third-person POV:

Nora: "So, there we were, in the middle of the night..."

Ren: "Actually, it was daytime."

Nora: (directed at Blake Belladonna and Yang, who was absorbed in her words) "We were surrounded by Ursai..."

Ren: "Technically, they were Beowolves."

Nora: "Dozens of them!" (addressing both Team RWBY and JNPR at the same table, while Weiss ignored her, Ruby and Pyrrha listened attentively, and Jaune seemed distant)

Ren: "Only two."

Nora: (with both Ruby and Pyrrha looking concerned at Jaune's demeanor) "But we took them down easily! Ren and I even made a fortune selling Ursa skin rugs!"

Ren: (sighs) "She's been having this recurring dream for almost a month now."

Ruby: "Where's Y/n?"

Blake: "He had something to do."

Back to Y/n's POV:

After class, I decided to review some footage. I replayed the fight between Jaune and Cardin multiple times. I wanted to analyze the differences between their techniques. Cardin seemed to possess more combat experience, while Jaune struggled.

Y/n: "Jaune can put up a fight, but his stance and weight distribution need improvement."

Sketches of their weapons and various stances filled my notebook. I hoped to create a stance that suited Jaune, but I needed more time. Hunger eventually drew me away from my work. I closed my notebook and left my dorm room, unaware of the watchful eyes on me.

Ozpin: "Beneath that veil of sadness lies the heart of a friend who cares."

[Small Time Skip]

In the cafeteria, I selected a meal of steak and potatoes. As I scanned the room for an empty table, my gaze landed on one in the far corner. Settling in, I began eating. However, I could feel the weight of many eyes on me.

Y/n: "Humans never change... Am I really that different? I'm a mix of both human and Faunus."

Lost in thought, I didn't notice that Cardin and his team had joined me at my table. Startled, I looked up to see what they wanted.

Cardin: "Told you there was a dog here."

Sky: "Hey, look at him. Think he'll catch food if we throw it?"

Y/n: "Truly original."

Ignoring them, I finished my meal and stood to leave. They persisted, though.

Cardin: "All bark and no bite, huh?"

Sky: "Haha, check him out. Can't even defend himself."

Y/n: "Whatever. I don't have time for this."

Just as I was about to leave, Cardin's words struck a nerve.

Cardin: "A dog like you could never live up to human standards. What did your mother see in a weakling like you?"

Y/n: ...

Anger surged through me. I couldn't control it. My claws extended, and I struck Cardin across the face. He crumpled to the ground, clutching his face in pain. The room fell silent, everyone's eyes on me.

Student 1: "Look at that! He attacked another student."

Student 2: "Well, didn't he insult him?"

Student 3: "Ha, Faunus are nothing but animals."

I hadn't felt this rage in years. Panic overtook me, and I fled the cafeteria, tears streaming down my face.

Yang: "I've never seen anyone do that."

Blake: rising from her seat "Faunus can only endure so much." She leaves.

Back to Y/n:

I found myself alone, head in hands. I hadn't intended for it to happen, but he had provoked me. I was lost in my thoughts until someone sat beside me.

Blake: "It's not your fault."

Y/n: "But I attacked him out of anger. I promised... I promised not to harbor resentment towards humans, but..."

Blake: "Y/n, your heart is huge, but you've carried these burdens alone for far too long."

Y/n: ...

Blake: "... Whether you're sad, angry, or happy, I've been watching you."

Lifting my head, I met the gaze of the black-haired beauty. She had a faint blush on her cheeks.

Y/n: "Blake, wait—"

Blake: "I don't care, Y/n. You're not alone. I'm here to share your burdens. And I love you."

I fell silent. The chief's daughter had just confessed to me. I was at a loss for how to react, but deep down, I realized I loved her too.

Y/n: "Blake, I... I love you too."

With those words, we shared a kiss. Blake settled into my lap, and as we pulled away, my cheeks flushed.

Y/n: "Well, I suppose we're..."

Blake: "Mates now." She smiled.

(A/N: And scene! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Regarding images, some need to be self-censored, so I won't be posting them.)