Worth the Wait [Johnny McGregor]

Start from the beginning

"Uh..." Knock some sense in your brain dude! I coughed to get her attention and pulled out her chair.

"Thanks." I waited as she sat then copied her action.

"(Y/n) I am really sorry for the afternoon." I said for the sake of conversation. I still, however, felt Enrique should have kept his distance.

"Never mind that." She waited then spoke again. "So how's life? Got any girls?"

"Oh...uh no." I averted my gaze as I pondered over my own question. "What about you? Taken?"

"Oh no. Single as a Pringle." She bit the inside of her cheek, thinking probably. I too wondered what I could ask her. "I can't imagine why you would be single Jonathan. I mean you'd get anyone."

"Maybe but who I like could get anyone too. And I don't know if she already likes someone." I wanted to slap myself but the word vomit had already left my mouth. I waited for her reaction.

"Oh, so you like someone." She smiled and pushed my arm gently. "Lovesick-"

"Hey guys! Ready for Oliver special menu?" I was happy for the much needed distraction.

"I am!" (Y/n) giggled making space on the table.

The topic wasn't raised again.

***

Past dinnertime, the five of us were sitting comfortably on the terrace garden with a lit bonfire snacking on roasted marshmallows and roasted meat and vegetable skewers. Despite the lit fire the night felt icy and bone chilling.

I held the skewer in one hand, pulling my blanket around me tightly with the other. I waited for the marshmallow to cool down. I reflected upon the day as others chatted... The day had started badly but now I could confidently say it was ending greatly. (Y/n) was sitting beside me, her legs and the soft fabric of her PJ touching skin. The scent of her coco lotion wafted the air reminding me of her presence.

"(Y/n) we need to ask a favour of you!" My ears perked up as Robert solemnly asked (Y/n) for help. Robert asking for favours was rare sight, to be beheld.

"What could I possibly help you with?" She asked roasting her vegetables on the skewer.

"Well it's actually for our poor Johnny. I think he's too shy to ask you." I caught Enrique's eye as he spoke. That mischievous twinkle could only mean danger for me.

"What happened to you Jonathan? Why didn't you ask me?"

I blinked. I needed a favour? For what?

"You see, he fancies a girl. And none of us is a girl. We don't know what he should do...." Oliver said. If I didn't know these rascals better, I'd be convinced too.

"Ask Enrique. He's got a lot of on hand experience." Her brows creased as she closed the matter.

"They're lying (Y/n). I don't like anyone..." I began but she cut me off, pointing a hot skewer towards my chest.

"It's okay Jonathan. I mean you did talk about a girl during the evening and you're blushing and all." I couldn't look her in the eye.

"I am not blushing. It's the cold. And I don't like-" I tried to explain.

"You don't have to deny. I swear I won't be jealous. I mean eventually I'll find someone too, right? Then I won't be the only single person out of the group..." She looked away. "I'd give you advice but I am quite inexperienced."

"(Y/n) I don't...."

"Johnny you do like that girl. Everyone has seen how you look at her." Oliver butted in.