Fateful Encounters [Hiro Granger]

Haven't written any angst in a long while so... Why not?

Also, this is a scene that I won't be using in my original fiction book called DOOMED (it'll be out in 2021 sometime). I love this specific scene, and didn't want to waste it. Might as well use it here :)

Magic AU!

Moonlight poured in Hiro's small bedroom, illuminating everything inside by a brilliant quicksilver colour. The breeze flowing outside the window was slow and gentle; but leaves of the backyard oak tree and the overhead windchime remained suspiciously still. Hiro Granger heard his own breath like it was a haunting external sound being played on a loop.

His free hand, the one that wasn't busy messing with his twilight blue hair, patted his restless baby's back, lulling her to sleep. His kind eyes were bloodshot and empty, and sleep miles away from them.

Like every night, for the past many nights, they held a faraway look. Agitation grew in him while the clouds played hide and seek with the moon. The someone he was waiting for hadn't made an appearance yet.

Tink-Tink-Tink

His ears perked up as the overhead windchime tinkled, like someone invisible had played with it. A playful giggle followed. It seemed like it came from everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

Hair on back of his neck and arms stood up and a shiver ran down his spine. His grip on his daughter's back tightened protectively.

"You don't look too happy by my arrival," a voice, directly behind his ear, spoke, "husband dear."

"I— I am."

Hiro closed his eyes and exhaled deeply, trying his best to not open his eyes and look for the voice. Soon the temptation became almost painful to bear and he fluttered open his eyes.

A ghostly, wistful and melancholy apparition of a woman stood before Hiro. She stared at him with the sincerest but saddest expression.

For a minute or two, she spoke nothing, only stared and remained still. The mist around her knees and below rolled farther and violently. Then everything settled. She averted her stare from her husband to her daughter.

The baby was being restless than ever. She looked tired; her (e/c) eyes peeking from behind her blue hair, were drooping. And yet, she was in a refusal to sleep.

If the apparition could cry, she would have burst in tears instantly.

"Hiro my b-baby!"

Hiro became uncomfortable as his wife—no! an she is no longer your wife Hiro Granger! She's just an imprint, an apparition! —wailed shrilly.

He instinctively patted the baby, trying to calm her on his own. He tried to prove he was doing well on his own.

"She's... she's uncomfortable love." (Y/n)'s apparition pointed out.

"I—I know... I'm trying."

"Are you even looking after our daughter Hiro?" (Y/n) gave no time to reply, though.

She leaned closer to her daughter and began singing a lullaby. Her voice, though couldn't be heard by anyone other than the husband and daughter, resonated strongly. The sweetness in it instantly calmed the fussing baby. Her eyes closed and she relaxed, slipping in a deep sleep.

"Sleep well baby, Mama's here." (Y/n) extended her hand forward to caress her child's soft cheek. Hiro watched, not having the energy or mind to stop her. His eyes watered as (Y/n)'s translucent hand slipped right through her, resembling maybe a shadow.