Worth the Wait [Johnny McGregor]

Start from the beginning

"Geez, I'll leave you be for a while. You can meet me after 5 - if you like. Oliver has told me he's making me something."

I opened and closed my mouth like a fish as she got up and smiled at me - a smile that didn't make the corner of her eyes crinkle - and then left the room. I was left to stare at the spot on the purple velvet sofa where she was sitting a while ago.

"Congratulations Johnny. You messed up big time." Enrique got up and clapped my back giving me a look of disapproval.

"What did I do?" I rolled my eyes. I couldn't face him and risk any more embarrassment.

"Pissed her off. She's been talking about you non-stop since she stepped in the house. She even asked us to keep it a surprise and you..."

"Well... it wasn't my fault." My face and arms turned hot but I couldn't admit. And what was to admit... It wasn't my fault, clearly. Enrique and she should have kept a friendly distance.

"Whatever. I said what I had to say." He turned his face away from me.

"Just... just keep a distance from her." I muttered, loud enough for only him to hear.

"Yo man! I swear by the bro code." He chuckled.

I switched off the TV and let my hair down - trying to think. Why was it so hard? I couldn't understand what to say to her that would make her forgive me. Should I go apologize now? Nah that would make me look too desperate. But after how long would it seem rude? I closed my eyes hair in a fist, ready to pull them out at any moment.

Why are girls so difficult to understand?

Finally by 5 I decided to seek her out. I stood in front of the dresser wondering what I should probably wear. I usually put on whatever was the easiest to move in. Today I wanted to make an effort. I checked rows of shirts but everything seemed too much.

"Fuck it McGregor! At this rate you'll die before deciding a dress." I pulled out a black jeans, blue shirt and white T.

I wandered the Jürgen household carefully. I didn't know where to find her. I opened Oliver's studio but it was deserted. Half done canvas and opened paint cans were put around in no particular order.

"(Y/n)?" I called slowly but no reply.

Next I went downstairs in the gardens. There was a small open kitchen for picnics and Barbecue parties. It was either painting or food. My next solid bet was food.

"Hey Johnny!" Oliver waved at me as I stepped in the gardens. He was sitting with her, looking at her as she savoured a bite of his cake.

At his words she turned around too, brightening up a little. I was at a loss of words to describe her. She was dressed in beige trench coat, black shirt and black trousers. Her hair, let down, created a perfect halo around her face. I felt a jolt in my stomach as I observed her closely in the light of the setting sun. Slightly parted lips, half closed eyes, a smile playing around. She was perfect.

"You came!" Oliver said.

"Of course I did. You don't sound very happy with my presence though." I wanted to wring apart his neck for interfering in my observation. She was the only piece of art I could look at, unblinking.

"I am happy, believe me." He sighed sitting down. "She's been ranting on and on about how you-"

"Now, now Oliver. We wouldn't want to aggravate him, would we?" She blushed and turned away momentarily.

"I think we can eat now." I suggested and she nodded.

"Yes-Yes that will be perfect."

"You both - go and sit. I'll be back in a jiffy." Oliver motioned towards a table for three and left us both. An awkward silence enveloped us as I avoided meeting her gaze.