Chapter 10 Dinner at David's

Chapter 10

David

"Well this is my place," I said as I unlocked the door and led Elliott inside.  "I'll show you around," I added before we got too far.  "Like I said, the layout is very similar to yours except I have a dining area where you have the island between the kitchen and living room, so it's open concept."  I took Elliott's hand in mine as he dropped it off my arm.  "How should we do this, start from the right, left?"

"You don't have to go to all that trouble," he mumbled somewhat shyly.

"I want to!" I protested, "I'm hoping you'll come back often, I want you to be comfortable."  Elliott looked uncertain, "Please," I pleaded quietly.

"Yeah, um, okay.  Start from the right.  Just walk me around the perimeter and then when we're back at the door we'll do the center of the living room?"

"Great."  I stepped behind him and put my right hand on his right elbow, and my left on his left shoulder.  I was close enough behind him that I could feel the warmth from his back.  "So if you walk to your right, it's about 8 steps to the bay window that overlooks the street."  Elliott started walking forward and I stayed right with him.  "The wall has a few prints on it that I got in Paris, there are built in book shelves on either side of the bay window."  When we got there I placed his hand on one of the shelves.

"Books on this shelf and all of the ones below it, and photos of family and friends on this one," I said as I lifted his hand to a higher shelf, "along with some knick knacks; silly things I've picked up on my travels.  Feel free to touch anything, none of its breakable."  After Elliott had felt some of the items and asked me what they were, we moved along to the bay window and the shelves on the other side which were pretty similar.  Then I walked him up the far wall which led into the dining area.

"This is the table and there's a bouquet of flowers in the center."

"I smell them, they smell nice."

"You can touch them too, they're pretty cool.  These are lilies,"  I placed his hand on one of the flowers and he carefully felt the petals and as he felt other flowers I did my best to remember what they were.  "Birds of paradise, angel trumpet, celosia…"  Then we walked through the kitchen and back into the living room.  It was all basically one large room which made things a lot easier.  I showed him where the bathroom was; through a door in the beginning of the hallway that led to my bedroom.  Then we worked our way back to the apartment door. 

"We're back at the door now.  Do you hear the ticking sound of a clock?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"It's on a coffee table in the center of the living room." As I spoke I led him into the room.  "There is a couch here, and on the other side of the table."  I showed him all of the furniture in the room and he seemed to pick up where everything was easily, finally sitting down when we had finished.

"I just need to get the vegetables into the oven to roast, what would you like to drink before I get started?"

"What do you have?"

"Beer, wine, soda, juice, mixed drink?"

"Oh shit!  That reminds me. I got you a bottle of wine to bring with me, but I forgot it at my place," he said with a frown.

"Don't worry about it Elliott, we can share it next time we have dinner together.  I mean, well…like I said earlier, I hope this isn't the only time I make you dinner.  I love to cook and it's no fun to cook for just myself."