Chapter 3 Do You Want to Touch It?

After I finished my meeting with Marcie, Janice and Jenny I made my way out and headed towards the elevator before I remembered that it was probably still being repaired.  When I reached it I noticed the man still had the large panel out and seemed to be replacing some of the components. 

He looked up, "Sorry mister, I still need about a half hour to finish the repairs and get it tested." 

I nodded, "No problem, I can take the stairs.  Before I turned away, I noticed a cell phone on the floor of the elevator.  It looked like the one I had seen Elliott using earlier, it must have slipped out of his pocket when he was sitting on the floor.  The case was a bright neon  green, I can't believe anyone would have missed that.  "Is it okay if I just step in and grab Elliott's phone, I see that he left it inside." 

"Sure go ahead, I can take it up to him later when I go give him a report on the elevator." 

"Give him a report?" I asked. 

"Yeah, he owns the building, when I need to come do the monthly maintenance I go up and tell him or Blake, his younger brother, that I've been here." 

The sculptor owns the building, really.  "I'll go ahead and take it up to him, he might need it right away," I told the repairman. 

"Thanks, let him know I won't be too much longer." 

"Yeah."  I made my way to the stairwell and began the trek up the three more floors of stairs before I found myself at a door with a sign that said, "Elliott Eriksen, Sculptor".  I knocked tentatively on the door, when no one answered, I pushed the door open and took a few steps inside into a huge room with extremely high vaulted ceilings with huge windows and an amazing view of the neighborhood and the blue sky.  I looked around in amazement at all of the sculptures within.  Some looked finished while others looked like works in progress.  On one side was a huge tool rack with all sorts of tools I've never seen before hanging neatly with a profound sense of organization.  One I wouldn't have suspected of the somewhat sloppy way Elliott presented himself.   

In the center of the room was a rather large piece that looked like it was predominately made of a very dense, dark clay.  It stood about 4 feet tall, and equally wide and deep and looked to be a complex series of very thick rings or oblong shapes.  When I looked toward the bottom I could see bare feet sticking out, coming out of the same faded blue jeans I had seen on the man earlier. 

"Who's there?" a voice calls out from under the sculpture. 

"Ahhh, Elliott, it's David…from the elevator," I called out. 

"Hello David from the elevator," he replied without making a move to come out from under the massive sculpture. 

"This studio is incredible!" I blurted out before I caught myself.  "The view is astounding and the space…I've never seen something like this." 

"Thanks…I find it very…inspiring," he replied.  "Listen for a second," he added.  We paused for a moment in silence. 

Finally I asked, "what should I be hearing?" 

Elliott rolled out from under his project on one of those rolling boards that I used to use when working on cars.  His hair was especially disheveled and I could have sworn I saw a few pieces of clay stuck in his curls.  His sunglasses were off and I could finally see his full face, he was beautiful.  When someone uses the term, 'natural beauty' Elliott Eriksen is what they mean.  He was looking straight up and I followed his gaze to the blue sky, then back down again, I saw the same clear blue shining crisply in his eyes.  He had a perfect nose, high cheekbones and thick luscious pink lips, perfect for…