Chapter 5 Coffee for Two?

Chapter 5

The two days up in Westchester finishing the video were grueling.  We ran every shot, every scene over and over from every angle you could imagine.  16 hour days and by late Wednesday night I was barely friendly, I was ready to bite the head off the make-up girl who kept touching up my face, even the boy who kept us all hydrated was afraid to get too close to me.

When we finished at a little after 10 that evening, I grabbed a ride back to the city with the camera crew, not only did I not want to stay over another night, I had a date…no coffee…just coffee, with Elliott the next morning and it was the only thing I was looking forward to all week.  I was also one step closer to my three months off, so those final words, "that's a wrap," were like music to my ears.

I finally fell into my own bed in my own apartment at just after 1:00 in the morning and set my alarm for 9:00.  That would give me enough time to get ready and meet Elliott by 11.

When my alarm blared what felt like minutes after my head hit the pillow, I slammed down the snooze button, I figured I could hit it once or twice before I got up.  When I realized that it had been a long time since I last heard the snooze I opened one eye and looked at the clock.  Shit!  It was 10:45.  I don't know if I had hit the alarm too many times in my sleep or if I had somehow turned it off or broken it, but I shot off the bed like a jet propelled rocket.  I'd showered before I went to bed so I could save time there.  It was just coffee and Elliott didn't seem to care about looks so after throwing on some jeans and a T-shirt I grabbed a beanie to put over my bed head, brushed my teeth, grabbed my wallet and raced out the door.  Stupidly I hadn't gotten his phone number so I couldn't even text him that I was running late.  It would take about twenty minutes to walk there and it was already five minutes to 11 so I looked for a taxi, but after several minutes I realized by the time I found one, I could have walked there so I picked up my pace and headed in the direction of Kaley's hoping Elliott was the type to run late also.

When I walked in the door I looked at my watch.  It was 17 minutes after 11.  Shit!  I looked around and spotted Elliott in the back talking to three guys who looked like fellow artists.  One of them had his arm over the back of Elliott's chair and it looked like he was telling him a funny story as the two of them laughed conspiratorially.  I didn't have any right to be annoyed, I was late, but I couldn't help the feeling from flowing through me.  Elliott took a sip of coffee and I realized I'd blown that too, at least he wasn't eating a scone.  I steeled my emotions and put on a calm face before walking back to his table.

"Hey Elliott, sorry I'm late," I said just as their conversation stopped and they looked up. "I didn't get back from the set until after one last night and I think I may have smashed my alarm in my sleep this morning."  One of Elliott's friends looked me up and down, raised his eyebrows and licked his lips.  I suddenly felt more objectified than any photo-shoot had ever made me feel.

"Elliott, where have you been keeping this fine specimen," he whined, "you've been holding out!  No fair!"

Elliott sighed and rolled his eyes, "Stop it Sy, don't make him feel uncomfortable…and I told you guys you had to leave when he got here, so scoot!"  He then turned to me and flashed his killer smile, "Hello David."  The other guy, the one with his arm over the back of Elliott's chair narrowed his eyes just slightly, assessing me. 

"Wait!" Sy screeched, "You're David James! The beanie threw me off a bit, but I'd know those eyes anywhere!"

"Sy!" Elliott growled, "just go!" 

"You're not even going to introduce us?"

"Fine.  David the annoying one is Sy, and the others are Jacob and Seth."  Jacob raised a hand as his name was said and Seth just raised an eyebrow.