Chapter 39 - I Can't See One Thing Wrong

So close with you on my lips
Touch noses, feeling your breath
Push your heart and pull away, yeah
Be my summer in a winter day love
I can't see one thing wrong
Between the both of us
Be mine, be mine, yeah
Anytime, anytime

Shawn was ridiculously nervous.  He hadn't toured for a while and he was having flashbacks to the first time he toured with Camila.  Not that that was a bad thing.  He remembered all their stolen kisses and sneaking around in rooms.  It was because of that tour that they had reconnected in the first place, when she had come to Toronto to ask him to be her support act.  He watched her now, hugging everyone, encouraging them.  He sometimes thought he had always been her support act, she was his Queen and he was her consort.  He knew they were much more equal than that in all ways, but he also knew he would lay his life at her feet, he adored her as a person, he was so proud of her and admired her talent as an artist.

Before tour started, they'd attended all the award ceremonies, winning multiple awards throughout, including their Grammy win for best group/duo performance.  One win out of three nominations was pretty good in their book.  It assisted in the tour selling out worldwide in one day.  And now, here they were, the first night of tour in New York's Madison Square Garden.

"Are you ready my love?" he asked when she finally reached him.  Her costume was so sexy and gorgeous, a red bejewelled dress with thigh-high slits, he felt like the luckiest guy in the world.  They walked out on stage to a huge cheer and launched into the first song. The whole set went like clockwork, from Camila's performances of her most popular songs with her dancers, Shawn jamming with his band with his hits throughout the years including awesome guitar solos, to their famous old performances of Kiss Me, IKWYDLS and Senorita and finally the songs on their new album including Home Alone and Uno Dos Cuatro, which included video of their kids playing the instruments on the big screen.  At the end of Kiss Me, they kissed just like they had all those years ago and the audience loved it, but when they sang Senorita, and then Home Alone at the very end, the chemistry was still there, and they were so hot the reports the next day said they burned up the stage and the audience reviews said it was like intruding on a couple's personal time.  They took it as a compliment.

They finished the North American leg on a high after sell-out crowds and critical acclaim, then had a break at home before heading to Europe.  Valessa was having a ball, and the children were being so good, they loved the tour bus especially, both in Europe and in North America. Another break and then it was Asia, Australia and New Zealand.  They took time in most places to see the countries, pacing the shows with a few days in between where possible, and then they headed back for a short break before starting Latin America.

Back at home before they started the last leg was a bittersweet feeling.  Memories of her breakdown plagued Camila and Shawn tried not to think about it.  They were kept busy because Valessa's father passed away and she spent the break with her family.  When she returned, she tearfully advised them that she would finish the tour but then she would be leaving, to look after her mother. Until then, her Aunt had moved in, but she had to return to her own family by Christmas.  Having the children to themselves meant they had little time to give in to the thoughts, but as they lay in bed one night a week before they headed to Sao Paulo for the start of the Latin American leg, Shawn noticed she was quiet and drew her into his embrace, stroking her back, his chin on her forehead.

"Hey, talk to me," he said softly.

"You know what I'm thinking about," she whispered against his chest.

"It was a long time ago, honey, over eight years."

"Suddenly, it seems like yesterday," she said, pulling back so she could look into his face.  "We've both struggled with our mental health over the years haven't we?"