Ch. 6: Don't be A Salty Bitch

* * Cameron * *

It had been three weeks and no one had seen del Russo.

His parents had come to get his car out of my drive way that next morning. I had stood on the front porch as his mother stayed in the car and his father got out to get in his son's car. They had even offered me a ride to school, but I declined.

I asked them what happened to their son hoping they would be honest and just give me some answers, but it was their turn to decline. They refused to give answers. I just nodded my head and waved to them goodbye. I stared after them until they disappeared wondering what was going on.

I was currently sitting in my kitchen playing with my cereal. I was waiting on another boring day of school to start.

"Grandma!" I shouted.  I was surprised she was still here.  She was usually gone in the morning. 

She came rushing into the kitchen.

"What's wrong baby girl!" She squeezed me in a hug.

"I can't breathe." I gasped for air when she let me go.

What's up with her?

"Grammy,  do you mind driving me to school today?"

"Of course, anything for you baby girl." She smiled down at me.

I took that moment to study her.

I looked exactly like her. She was average height. She had a curvy build, long curly hair and slanted brown eyes, just like me. Most people thought she was my mother. They were always shocked to find out she was my grandmother.

I guess when you think "grandmother," you think canes, dentures and dementia.

But, not my Grammy. No, sir. She didn't look to be a day over 40. But, I knew she was 72. It was our wolf genes.

Wolves were genetically wired to avoid rapid aging. We literally had "good genes."

My grandmother gave me a kiss on the forehead and rubbed my shoulders in a reassuring manner as she turned to leave the room. Probably in search for her purse and keys, I'm guessing.

Someone's clingy, I thought. I picked up my backpack and my cellphone and my cell charger. I couldn't go anywhere without the charger.

We got in the car and my grandmother looked over to me and reached over to adjust my seat belt. 

What is with her today? Please God, don't let my Grammy turn creepy.  I sent up a quick prayer.

I turned to look out the window during the drive to school.  I thought about del Russo. What had happened to him?

I knew that he was getting his wolf on his eighteenth birthday.  The way he had gotten so angry with Kingsley coming to the door with his shirt off and then the way he had been howling in pain made me think that he was in the process of beginning the transformation.

But, why did it look like that? He looked..different from a normal werewolf's transformation. Or maybe it's just I've never seen a transformation up close and personal like that? I thought of every possibility.

I don't know, but it didn't look normal. It looked so fierce and..raw. Savage like. I sighed now realizing that the car had stopped. 

We were in front of my school and my grandmother was staring at my profile.

"Okay. Out with it woman!  What's up Grammy? What's going on? And do not lie to me. Please.." I begged her.

She continued to stare for a while. "Did your father contact you?" She blurted out.