[6]

Gajeel watched from the upper floor as the guild erupted in festivities. He felt a nervous sweat break out as he noticed that the other two dragon slayers both had talking cats. He was a dragon slayer too! When would he get his own talking cat? Why was he the only one without a cat?

He decided not to think too hard on it as he went down and joined the hyper guild. After mingling with the others for an acceptable amount of time without hitting one, he sat down to get some iron to eat.

Gajeel chewed on some screws when he overheard Gray talking to Natsu about rumors of someone seeing a dragon. He grit his teeth as he looked away when Natsu shot up from his seat and called over his buddy.

"You coming too?" Natsu asked once Wendy and her cat met up with him.

"No way," Gajeel closed his eyes, "It's obviously a sham."

Natsu tried to protest by saying maybe it was true this time but Gajeel shot him down.

"And how many times have you said that and gotten tricked? Stories about dragons are for luring people! You're being used, try learning a little."

"You want to see yours too, right? You want to see Metalicana!" Natsu protested yet again.

"And then what? He just disappeared without saying anything. I don't care one bit!" Gajeel bit out.

Gajeel listened as the blondie and Levy whispered about him but he paid no mind to them. They had not been there when he was still hopeful and chased after every plausible lead only to get hurt. It did not take long for him to stop falling for such tricks.

"Gajeel, didn't you ever chase after those rumors like Natsu and Wendy?" Mirajane asked as she prepared another dish.

"Back when I was an idiot kid, it didn't take me that long to stop falling for those things though. The new girly and that flame-brained idiot have to grow out of it sooner or later," Gajeel muttered as he got up.

"Wendy's still a kid though, I think it's nice she still has hope, that goes for Natsu too!" Levy said as Lucy nodded.

"I stopped believing when I was Wendy's age, I hope for her sake she stops soon too. As for the idiot, tch," Gajeel finished off as he headed down to the game room.

"I swear, he's the same age as Natsu but he acts like he's older," Lucy whispered under her breath and Gajeel turned around making her and Levy perk up nervously.

Gajeel opened his mouth to speak when Erza came in and said she had something urgent to tell the master. He sighed as he sat down, something told him it would be a long one.

Erza spoke of a being that attacked her that could use Requip magic - like hers - and that something about it did not seem human. The members were worried about it being another guild trying to start something which Gajeel shifted uncomfortably.

Suddenly, Juvia started crying about Gray leaving her and he quickly stuck himself to the top of the guild and held his breath as her tears overflooded the guild.

~~~

"I'll return sometime later today, I heard the trains are having a bit of trouble," The store owner apologized as Gajeel looked away.

"Take however long you need, as long as you pay. I'll take care of yer shop," Gajeel said as the shop owner smiled and turned away.

"I'll see you then," The owner said and left the building leaving Gajeel to his job.

Gajeel tried to not look but he was a weak man. He frowned slightly as he saw all the normal-looking cat's in the pet shop. Gajeel scowled, it was not like he took the job just because he wanted to look for a cat but the pay was good too...