the evenfall (bertram's pov)

The kids and Bob returned to find Bertram lounging on the couch, his eyes closed. However, he wasn't sleeping. As soon as the kids arrived he sat up and nodded a greeting, his eyes lighting up when he got to Bob. The kids groaned and reached for their stomachs.

"Bertram," Zuri complained, Bertram's shoulders tensed "What was in that dinner? My tummy hurts" She flopped on the couch face down. Bob looked to Bertram, thinking of something quick.

"Think it was that cheap movie theater popcorn," Bob chuckled with a pat on Bertram's back. Bertram let out a soft sigh, happy Bob could think of somethings so fast on the spot.

"Well actually," Ravi spoke, his Indian accent sharper than ever "The popcorn we just ate hasn't been in our system at this point," He started to pace, his finger pointing at Bertram as he spoke, "So, therefore, it's the dinner we ate."

"Well," Bertram tried to clear his throat.

"Yeah what was that anyway? You never really did say what it was," Luke spoke up. "It was good, for your cooking at least." The boy laughed, his siblings joining him.

Bob cut in before Bertram could say anything, "Just a different type of pork. It's the cheap kind, isn't it, Bertram?" Bob turned his head to stare at the butler, his gaze intense.

"Uh, yeah, right." Bertram nodded, almost a little too quickly. Zuri glanced between the two, her dark eyes narrowing suspiciously.

"Whatever," Zuri said heading upstairs, seeming to forget about the 'surprise' Bob had upstairs.

The other children followed behind her, each of them filing into their rooms.

Bob rolled his eyes after making sure the children were out of earshot. "God, that Zuri. She's so annoying, I can wait until she's gone."

Bertram's eyes widened in surprise before he nodded. "Y-yeah."

Bob huffed before taking a seat on the couch. Burtram took the open seat next to him, scooting in closer to Bob. Bob rubbed his eyes and leaned his head on Bertram's shoulder. Bertram smiled, his cheeks turning red. Bertram reached for the brown throw blanket on the ottoman, covering them.

"What a day..." Bob muttered his eyelids slowly covering his ocean eyes.

"Yeah... " Bertram thought about the days' events. Jessie, Emma, but most importantly, Bob.

Bob's breathing turned steady, his eyes closed. Bertram cuddled closer, wishing this moment lasted forever, wanting all the bad events from the day to wash away at this moment.