they brought us the office and gathered round a box on the desk.

'there are secret files on everyone in ba sing se. including you kids.' said how

'secret files?' aang wondered

'toph beifong.' said the general, handing a scroll to toph who handed it to me.

'it's a letter from your mom. shes here in the city, and she wants to see you!' i read

'long feng intercepted our letters from home? that's just sad.'

they handed another scroll to aang and general how spoke, 'this scroll was attached to the horn of your bison when the dai li captured it.'

'it's from the eastern air temple.' said aang, getting my attention.

'im afraid there is nothing for you y/n' said general how and i nodded.

i mean, its not like knew anyone who would still be able to send me mail.

'is there a letter for me and sokka by any chance?' asked katara, hopefully.

'i'm afraid not.' said the king

'oh.'

'but there is an intelligence report that might interest you.' the general interjected

'a small fleet of water tribe ships...' read katara

'what? that could be dad.' said sokka, eagerly

'protecting the mouth of chameleon bay, led by hakoda. it is dad!' she said in rising excitement.

aang looked through his scroll again,

'i can't believe it.' cried aang, reading it further, 'there's a man living at the eastern air temple. he says he's a guru.'

'what's a guru? some kind of poisonous blowfish?' asked sokka

'no, a spiritual expert. he wants to help me take the next step in the avatar journey. ge says he can teach me to control the avatar state.'

'aw aang you're finally growing up!' i said, sarcastically. but he pretended he hadn't heard.

katara smiled, 'and i can't believe we know where our dad is now.'

'i know what you mean. my mum's in the city, and from her letter it sounds like she finally understands me.' said toph

'this is all such big news. where do we even start?' i asked, happy for my friends.

'i hate to say it, but...we have to split up.' said katara, warily.

'split up? we just found appa and got the family back together. now you want us to separate?'

'you have to meet this guru, aang. if we're gonna invade the fire nation, you need to be ready.' said katara firmly.

'well, if i'm going to the eastern air temple. appa and i can drop you at chameleon bay to see your dad.' he said

there was a pause and sokka spoke up, 'someone has to stay here with the earth king and help him plan for the invasion. i guess that's me?'

'no sokka, i know how badly you want to help dad. you go to chameleon bay, i'll stay here with the king.'

sokka began to cry, 'you are...the nicest... sister...ever.'

'easy there, big brother.' said katara, praying him back, 'though you're right, i am.'

---

we packed that night to leave early the next day and waited outside the earth kings palace to wave sokka and aang off.

'alright! who's ready to get going on our little men-only man trip' cheered sokka, putting aang in a headlock

'aang and sokka, i wish you good journey. ba sing se owes you its thanks, and we look forward to your return.' said the king, making us all bow in thanks.

'you sure you're not coming?' asked aang

'yeah. ive got some stuff i want to do here before we move on' i smiled, hugging him.

'your majesty. there are three female warriors here to see you, they're from the island of kyoshi.' said a guard, rushing up to the king.

'that's suki.' said katara

'you know these warriors?' asked the king

'oh yeah.' i said, 'the kyoshi warriors are a skilled group of fighters, trustworthy too. they're good friends of ours.'

'then we shall welcome them as honored guests.'

'i'm really gonna miss you guys.' muttered toph.

'me too.' said katara

'yeah.' said aang and i, giving her a hug while sokka slumped in the corner.

the others rushed to him and hugged him.

and once they'd let him go i walked up to him and quickly kissed him on the cheek, hugging him tightly before saying, 'ill see you soon'

we waved them away as they left, saying our goodbyes as well as we could.

---

the next day i thought id make a visit to someone in the city, since i had nothing to do.

i walked along the cobbled streets, taking in the scenery around me and finally making it to the house.

i knocked on the door, hoping to the spirits that i had the right address.

'hello?' i called after getting no reply, 'mushy?'

then, the door creaked open to reveal iroh.

standing right in front of me.

but i wasn't angry at him - for once.

'how are you...

friend?'