The Devil's a Dad

Start from the beginning

I couldn't believe I actually felt guilty. Thankfully, the awful feeling subsided and my curiosity spiked. I held up the file to show the name. "Why is this here?" He snatched it off me and grabbed my wrist, dragging me out into the office area. "What? I just want to know about him?" He twisted me around and sat me in a chair by his desk.

"Lauren, you need to stop. You broke into a police department and stole an official file. You cannot keep doing this." His face was stern, but his eyes showed worry. "Look, I've managed to keep you out of getting into a lot of trouble because I know you've been through a lot. But if you want to spend your life, mistake after mistake, I'm not saving you from the law."

Ugh, His speech was finally over. I learned to drown out his talking about the third hundredth time he gave me a talk about being better. "Yeah, got it, be better. Now, who is Lucifer?" Dan sighed, obviously at my ignorance.

"I'm not telling you that." Great, now I'm going to have to do the work myself. "Look, Lauren, Lucifer is not someone you want to mess with, he-" Dan was interrupted by the guy in the suit.

"Well, well, well, our little car thief." Bloody hell, This guy again?

"Hello, fancy car owner, we're just looking for a Lucifer Morningstar. He's a prick I'm trying to find." His face looked insulted.

"I beg your pardon; I am not a prick."

My mouth fell open. This was the famous Lucifer? "Oh hell," I exclaimed. Now that I was actually in front of him, my nerves got the better of me. I turned on my heel to walk away but I was stopped by both guys.

"Now hang on a minute, you wanted to meet me, now you've met me." I tried to make my way past.

"Exactly, I've met you, goodbye." I was stopped by Dan.

"Not so fast, Missy. You broke into a precinct."

This interested Lucifer. "Well played. what did you do that for?" I glared at him. "Because the other day, I stole someone's car and he let me off without a smack on the hand. Why would you do that? Not a lot of people would do that for a thief." I narrowed my eyes at him. 

"Yes, well, whoever said the devil couldn't be forgiving."

Dan turned to Lucifer, clearly annoyed. "Lucifer, enough." I held my hand up, interrupting him, and he was not pleased, but I didn't care.

"No, it's alright. The devil doesn't lie." This earned a wary look from Lucifer. I shouldered my way through the two, promising Dan I would think about what he said.

...

This building was huge. I had no idea what I was doing. Was I just supposed to waltz into a bar for hookers and talk to him? Lux was big, but it wasn't big enough for a 15-year-old to get past security. It was worth a try. From what I gathered from the file, and knowledge I had procured over the years, Lucifer owned this place.

Lux looked like a big living room with a bar. Girls wearing almost nothing were dancing on tables while everyone danced, drank, and enjoyed themselves. I spotted Lucifer by the piano but didn't go over to him. Not yet. I went to the bar and ordered a drink. I was 15, obviously, but that didn't stop the bartender.

She watched me drink and leaned against the bar. "You know it's illegal to serve minors, right?" I rolled my eyes and downed the rest of my drink.

"Yet you do it anyway." She smirked.

"How'd you get in?"

"Devil's gift of persuasion." This earned another smirk.

"You sure about that?" Why was everyone questioning this? Usually, they brushed me off as a dramatic liar, but so far, Lucifer and this girl were acting as if they knew better. Lucifer obviously did because he was the devil, but this girl was- No! I looked at her eyes close, looking for even a hint of a soul.