17

Johnny

September 10, 2028

I woke up hearing my phone ring. I opened my eyes and it was my alarm. I sighed as I sat down. Another morning, and I'm still alive. Thank you lord. I said to myself.

I opened my drawer and grabbed some of my files and head to the dining room where everyone is." Good morning family." I greeted.

" So, here are my files, if I ever meet grandpa and grandma again." I said handing them my files." John, you shouldn't be saying that." Mom said.

" Just to assure everything. I already managed everything for my will and burial. It's all complete so you don't have to worry about anything." I said.

" My savings will go to your accounts so you can go and run a little business." I said." John, you're crazy. We don't need this." Dad said giving back the files.

" Dad. I'm giving you this just in case." I said refusing to take it back." John, stop this. You're thinking too much. You're not going to die." Lauren said.

" The doctor said otherwise." I said." If the operation is unsuccessful. But I'm really sure it will be successful." William said.

" I'm not taking those files back." I said crossing my arms. Lauren rolled her eyes." Whatever. Cheers for John. Your operation will be successful." Dad said raising his glass of water.

We all smiled.

Mackenzie 

I walked in Isaak's office room inside their house. My heart was pounding as I knocked on the door and get in.

" Hey." Isaak said. I smiled and sat down." What are you doing here? Do you want coffee? I'll call-" I cut Isaak's sentence.

" No, Isaak. I'm here... because I need to tell you something." I said." Are you ok?" He asked. I sighed and gave him the papers.

As he reads it, he looked very sad... disappointed...mad." How did this happen?" He asked turning to me." I'm sorr-" I was cut off.

" Why didn't you tell me sooner?" He asked." I swear I tried." I said." How could you let this happen?! You should've told me sooner." He said, furious as he slammed the papers on his table.

" If you told me sooner, this would be over right now! What were you thinking?!" He asked." Because for once, I felt free." I finally said it.

" Kenzie, you are always free. You can do whatever you want." He said standing up from his seat and sat down in front of me.

" If I'm free, why do I have to ask for your opinion? Your permission?" I asked." You're free to say no." He said.

" Isaak... you're one of the many reasons why I'm here today... Thank you for everything but... we can't be in a relationship because we are thankful." I said tearing up.

He looked me in the eyes." 6 years Kenzie... 6 years that we're together." He said." 6 years... that I always wait for your approval... 6 years hoping one day you'll realize that I've grown enough to be worthy of your trust... but you know what I realized?... that, that day would never come." I said.