Chapter 6: The Toll of The Title

"I can't believe you're bringing Spencer." Glen shakes his head as we load up the gear into the truck. "This is no place for the Vice President to be, let alone civilians."

Both Spencer and I turn to look at him.

"Can it or I'll have you on school drop off and pick-ups for the next month." I say to him seriously. I don't know why he's even trying to pretend like I had a choice when it came to Spencer coming along. Of course I didn't want her to come. I would never want her in harm's way, but Spencer will not be told no to...by anyone. Spencer snickers and Glen roll his eyes at us.

"Let's just stay on our toes, keep this convoy tight and there shouldn't be any need to worry okay everyone?" Carmen addresses the seven who are preparing to head out.

The convoy consist of Carmen, myself, Glen, Spencer, Aiden, Angel, Joseph, and Hannah.

"Yes ma'am." We all say in unison.

"Let's head out." Carmen instructs us. Spencer, Angel, Glen, Aiden and I hop in the first vehicle while the rest follow in the vehicle behind us.

"I want this place locked down tight until we return." I tell a guard at the gate, he looks really familiar but I can't place his face. It's impossible for me to know every single guard we have on duty but for some reason this guy's face is in my head. I shake it out as he replies.

"Yes, Madam Vice President." We head through the East gate and out into a world I haven't been to or seen in years. Ever since I became Vice President my duties have consisted of everything within the walls of our City.

"How does it feel to be on the outside?" Aiden asks with a smile.

I smile and lean my head against the backseat. "Great."I breathe out and I hear everyone chuckle a little as we head to the second nearest hospital to the city that's a good two hour or so drive.

--

"10-4, copy that." Is all I catch of the conversation Aiden was just having on the radio with... someone. I guess I spaced out, taking in the scenery. It's nice to see something other than what's inside the city walls. I didn't think I'd miss the outside as much as I do. "Carmen confirmed that Eric's group is going to meet at the location." Aiden looks back and says.

"Okay." I nod. "How long have we been driving?" I question, unaware of how much time has passed since we left the city.

"Thirty minutes."

"Eric?" Angel questions and I mentally slap myself. I forgot to mention to her that we'd be meeting up with Eric's group for backup on this scavenge.

"Shit, uh yeah. His group is gonna meet up with us and help us out with--"

"Yeah it's fine. I understand this is just business." She nods and turns her head to look out the window.

"Is that not getting any better?" Spencer leans over and whispers in my ear. I shrug and shake my head. I'm pretty sure the two of them haven't talked since Kyla's escort was attacked. I'm not sure if Angel is avoiding Ky or just trying to spend some time away to figure everything out. I'll need to ask her about that later. "The thought of you shooting this thing," Spencer places a hand on my bow that's positioned on the floor in front of me. "is really turning me on." She finishes her sentence with a chaste kiss on my neck that sends shivers down my spine.

"Spence." I bite my lip to hold back a moan.

"I'm just saying, it's been forever since I've seen this side of you."

"And what side is that?" I turn to face my girlfriend slightly.

"You know, bad ass Ashley. The one I fell in love with." She says and her eyes go a dark shade of blue. I imagine she's picturing some of my finest moments, or maybe just our finest moment. You remember Garden City right? Police station...shower...you know the rest.