Chapter Twenty-Nine: Bleeding on the Brain

Start from the beginning

    My apartment looks pretty damned good, and I know it's because of Garrett

   "Awe hey baby," I caress the soft petals of my plants and croon nonsensically at them.  Yup I'm weird.  But my plants are my babies.  I fish out my cellphone and push the first button I have on standby.
   "ANN!" Garrett shouts.  "OH MY GOD, Ann, are you all right?"
   I sigh.  "Yeah, I'm good, I'm okay.  But...uh, I have a lot to explain to you.  I need you come to my place, can you do that?"
   "Uhhhhh are uhhhh they—"
   "—No they are not here.  It's just me.  Can you please come over."
   "I'll be there in thirty, do you want me to bring Taiwan Palace?"
   "Is that a rhetorical question?" I say sarcastically, and smile when I hear him laugh on the other end.
   "Okay I'll be there in forty minutes then, with sustenance.  Uhhhh I'll see you soon Ann...and...and...I love you, I'm so glad you're okay."
Before I can say anything he disconnects our call and I'm stuck staring dumbstruck at the beeping cellphone.
Wells shit.  What did that mean.  Anything? Let's hope it didn't mean anything.  I had enough complicated in my life right now.  I really didn't need anymore.  And anyway, I thought we'd settled this shit.
Let's hope so.

   "OH MY GOD! ANN!" Garrett drops the bags on the floor and grabs me in a giant bear hug

"OH MY GOD! ANN!" Garrett drops the bags on the floor and grabs me in a giant bear hug. "God, I was so damned worried. I didn't hear from you, I had no idea what was going on. One minute you were at the psycho's house, and I went to the precinct and the next...you were gone. I mean sure you told me that I needed to check on your plants and place, but...but....then nothing, Ann, nothing! God do you know how fucking worried I was about you?"
Garrett only swore when he was really really upset. I sigh. I hated that I had upset him. But there had been no getting around it. "I'm okay, Gar, I'm okay, seriously, I'm okay." I say, using his nickname. I must still be touched in the head from Tir na nOg, I knew better than to use pet names with the guy that I slept with and still might have a crush on me.
"Okay, okay," Garrett pulls away and seems to check me over entirely. His eyes widen and he swallows. "You...uh...you...well, you look beautiful Ann. I mean, you've always been beautiful, but you look...you look...I don't even have words. You know what, Let's sit down and eat, and you can fill me in, okay?"
I smile a genuine smile then. "Okay, I can handle that." I eye the bags with avarice. "Whatcha bring me....?"
Garrett rolls his eyes. "Whatcha think?"
"The usual?"
"Of course, plus a few extras. I stopped at Park Lee's"
"You went to the Korean Market and Bakery?" I'm stunned. "Oh my gosh, Garrett, seriously?"
"Anything for you, Ann."
"Steamed Pork buns?" I'm practically drooling.
Garrett laughs. "Park Lee's makes the best Steamed Pork buns this side of town, so you'd better believe it."
"Egg custards?"
"Of course? Do you think I don't know you, Ann," he says softly. And I swallow. Uh-ohhhh.
"Uhmmmm okay, well thank you, thank you so much. I'm starving. Let's eat. Ooooohhh" and my eyes gleam, "Tell me that Taiwan Palace had their seafood triple delight."
"Yup."
I pump my fist. "YES!'
Garrett laughs. And pulls me into a side hug. "Do I know my girl, or do I know my girl."
And just like that my stomach sinks.