Chapter 1: (Un)Forgettable First Encounter

June 2021

"CHEEEEERS" *clink*

The environment was just right. It was late in the night, yet the kbbq restaurant was bustling with customers. The music was flowing out the ceiling's speakers, blending harmoniously with the sounds of sizzling meat, indistinct conversations, and infectious laughter. The serene night sky behind the shining street lights were displayed right outside the cold glass walls. We were in the perfect spot: placed far enough from the majority of customers to feel at ease, yet close enough to receive the energy radiating from every nook and cranny of the restaurant. Chaewon and I, with jubilant smiles plastered on our faces, hit out shot glasses of soju together before downing them down in an instant.

Chaewon:  

"I still can't believe you're here! I haven't seen you in about a year and a half?"

Tia: 

"Ugh, girl I know right? I missed you so much. And I'm finally seeing you again, but in Korea?? Wild"

Chaewon: 

Chaewon laughed, "Next time, I'll meet you in California!"

Tia: 

With an exaggerated pouty face, I exclaimed, "You better! We all miss you over there".

During college, Chaewon became one of my absolute closest friends. We met in our school dance team and when I tell you we immediately clicked as if we've already known each other for years. During my third year and her fourth year, she had to move back to Korea for personal reasons. It's been a long year and half since I last saw her, but here we are again! Reunited at last.

~~~

Chaewon:

Chaewon grabbed an unopened soju bottle. "OKAY this one is for your graduation!! LET'S TAKE A SHOT"

Tia:

My face instantly brightened at the amusing sight. Ahh what a nostalgic feeling of the college days. "You know I can't say no to that HAHA OKAY POUR ME ONE"

*15 minutes later*

Tia:

I looked at Chaewon while holding the soju bottle, "OKAAAY this one is for our reunion!! ANOTHER SHOT"

*10 minutes later*

Chaewon:

"Oh? Looks like it's shot 'o' clock"

Tia:

"OKAAAY let's goooo"

*5 minutes later*

Tia:

I held up my shot glass and used my chin to motion towards hers. "You already know what it is. C'mon raise your glass"

Chaewon:

Chaewon instantly picked up her glass with eyebrows raised. "I got you I got you"

This cycle was on a constant loop for the next hour. Within this period, Chaewon and I not only devoured several servings of meat, but guzzled down nearly six whole bottles of soju. The buttons on our pants were on the edge of bursting out of its threads, we were completely wasted, yet we were having the best time catching up. At this point in time, I decided that it was time for me to ask her the important questions. With my elbow leaning on the round table and my chin resting in my hand, I looked my friend in the eyes and asked-