I dropped on the couch feeling extremely tired. My feet were aching . I removed my high heels and massaged my sore feet. I had spent nearly the whole day discussing details with Claudius on how to get Ferracco Volcani to pay for his crimes.

Though Claudius was still angry with me, he managed to mask his emotions and act professional. Lola came to sit besides me. Her face seemed troubled.

"Jane ! You have to speak to Elena. She has been crying ever since l picked her up from school."

" What happened?, " l asked her in a worried voice.

Elena rarely cried ever since she was a baby. So this piece of news came as a shock to me. So far she hasn't complained of bullies at her new school.

I felt a prickle of guilty as l realised that for days l had never had a proper conversation with my daughter. My head had been plagued with vengeful thoughts. All week l had run around between lawyers consulting on my case. In my quest for revenge , l had neglected my daughter.

Lola shook her head.

" She refused to talk to me."

I got up from the couch and hurried to her room. She was lying on her bed tears silently rolling down her cheeks. I felt my heart swell in pain.

" What wrong my baby?" I said as l touched her tear-stained face.

Her eyes darkened with more tears.

"Some kids at school called me a bastard child because l don't have a dad," she choked out gulping back tears.

I felt anger surge through me.

"Tell me their names and l will go talk to their parents!," l blurted out angrily.

Elena's small body began to rock with more tears. I gathered her in my arms and rocked her.

"Shhh. It's okay baby girl. Mummy is here ."

After some minutes , her sobs subsided. She stared at me with teary big eyes.

"Mummy , can Uncle Claudius come to my school for price giving day."

I smiled at her and stroked her dark hair.

" l am sorry , honey. Uncle Claudius is busy these days."

She angrily pushed my hand away.

"I don't want other kids to laugh at me again!," she yelled.

" You don't have to mind them."

"Pliz mummy. Just agree to marry Uncle Claudius. I want him as my dad," she pleaded in a teary voice.

"You don't need a father !," l yelled at her.

Elena stared at me stunned by my reaction. She broke down into more tears.

Goodness! Why did l have to take out my anger on her!

                                              ****

After dinner , Claudius and l went to the balcony of my bedroom. I leaned on the rail staring into the peaceful night. Even the beautiful night scene of Rio didn't help calm my jumbled nerves.

I was worried about Elena. She baldly wanted Claudius as her father. But l wasn't ready to grant her wish yet. I needed to put away my anger and insecurities first. And that was only possible if l get that con artist locked up in jail.