07 • W A V E R L Y • 🗯️

My entire body was sore when I woke up the next morning. After Dad picked me up from the principal's office we went straight home.

Dad joked about me having a late rebellious phase. Mom tried to give me The Talk even after I explained to her that all Stephen and I did was eat junk food and watch a movie.

I was dead tired when we got home and went straight to bed. Now that I was awake my brain couldn't wait to go over last night's adventures.

The initial meeting when he crashed into me was probably the only truthful moment that happened between Stephen and I. Everything after that was lie after lie.

Why did I even care? It wasn't like I expected things to go anywhere beyond the festival. Yesterday was a moment on it's way to being forgotten.

Apparently yesterday's events were in no hurry to fade into the dark recesses of my mind.

As I showered and got ready for the day I kept thinking back to the pizza place and our debate about which Sasha Keaton book was the best.

When I sat down with my family for our last breakfast as a whole for the rest of the summer my mind kept drifting back to Stephen. How embarrassed he looked showing me the fort. That almost kiss before everything was ruined.

I should've been the one embarrassed. I hung onto his every word, not once questioning what he told me. My judgement had been clouded by too many books with Happily Ever After endings. In real life people lied.

Not to protect you.

Not because they're scared.

They lied just because they could.

• • •

"Can I take your camera?" Bryce asked as Dad loaded up the car for their trip. Bryce wore a fisherman's hat that he hadn't taken off since yesterday when Dad gave it to him. I'm pretty sure he even slept in it. "The one that takes sticker pictures?"

"Nope." I said, arms crossed.

He pouted. "Why not?"

"Because you're eight and I don't trust you," I told him. I could easily picture him accidentally dropping my camera into a lake.

He sucked his teeth and started to walk to the car.

"Excuse you, sir," Mom said motioning for Bryce to come back for a hug.

He rushed back up the porch, wrapping his arms around her middle. Dad came over after getting everything into the trunk. He gave Mom a quick kiss, which quickly escalated. I covered Bryce's eyes.

"Don't make me get the hose," I warned.

They broke apart, laughing. After we said our goodbyes Dad and Bryce were off to Grandpa Ty's cabin in the woods.

"Looks like it's just us girls," Mom mused, snaking her arm around mine. "Maybe now you can tell me what's really going on with you."

"Nothing going on," I told her, wiggling my arm free of hers. No way was I having that conversation. "I should finish packing."

Mom followed me into the house and into my room where my suitcase lay open on my bed.

"When you get older and have children of your own you'll learn that you have this connection with your child that makes it impossible for them to lie to you," she said, standing in the doorway. "I might let it slide sometimes, but I always know when you're not being truthful. Now, talk."

"There's nothing to talk about," I insisted, stuffing underwear into my suitcase.

"Theo and Naomi haven't been over in almost a week," she pointed out.

That caused me to pause. Of course she'd notice that. Naomi and Theo were like honorary members of our family. They were always there.

I shrugged, going to my bookshelf to grab some reading material. That was really all I needed for a trip. Fresh underwear and books. "They've been busy...with each other."

"Oh, sweetie." Her voice was laced with sympathy. She came into the room, wrapping an arm around my shoulders in an awkward side hug. "I know how you felt about Theo."

I shook her off, staring at her. "What are you talking about? I don't like Theo like that."

She simply nodded. Her expression told me she wasn't convinced, though. Honestly, I wouldn't have been either. Especially not when I was blushing like the blood in my face was literal fire.

"I'll let you finish packing," she said, backing out of the room. "I want to leave soon, we have a long drive."

I went back to my bookshelf, trying to decide what other books I wanted to take with me. Mom and I would probably be in Burbank the whole summer. Apparently the client was a full blow bridezilla and wanted Mom within reach at all times.

Knowing that, I probably wouldn't have much reading time in between errands. That didn't stop me from packing like thirty books.

My eyes landed on the bright yellow spin of Foolish Summer. Despite myself I pulled it off the shelf. On the cover there was a guy with his locs styled in a bun on top of his head, a camera pulled up to his face and a girl looking over her shoulder at him with a coy smile.

Right, Kev was a photographer like Stephen. Maybe that was why he liked the book so much. Or...

I flipped the book over, reading the short blurb on the back. Loner and year book photographer stood out the most. Details of the books began to flood back to me. Specifically, a scene where the two main characters watched a movie...in a tent.

I'm an idiot. A naivë, little girl who never questioned anything and trusted everyone.

Shoving the book back into its spot, I quickly packed the rest of my bags, wanting to dive into wedding planning and wipe my memory of Stephen.

• • •

"You sure you got the right address?" I asked Mom.

She, like me, was stunned by the gorgeous house before us. It was easily twice the size of our house. The manicured lawn was the brightest green I'd ever seen. I think I even saw a pool in the backyard as we pulled up.

Mom checked her phone, nodding. "Yup, this is it."

We got out of the car, our eyes still glued to the house. Mom mentioned that the client was wealthy, but that house-no, mansion-was insane.

"And we get to stay here for the summer?"

Mom nodded again. I followed her up the steps and into the house. The inside seemed bigger than the outside suggested. The foyer opened up to a sweeping staircase. There was a dining room to the left and a living room to the right.

My shoes squeaked against the cream colored tile beneath my feet as I walked further in, marveling at the high ceilings. Everything in the house was either cream or brown or green. There were plants just about everywhere which, upon inspection, were thankfully fake. It'd take hours to water them all.

Mom's phone interrupted the stillness. From her tone I assumed it was the client. She stepped outside, talking about save the date mock-ups.

I took that time to explore the backyard. It resembled a jungle with all the plants. There was a pool, a fire pit surrounded by comfy looking chairs, a cabana and a platform where a barbecue pit sat.

I was already picturing myself curled up in one of these chairs in a bikini with a book and an umbrella drink. The tropical vacation I'd always wanted. It was the perfect getaway after the crappy week I'd had.

"Waverly-" Mom froze when she stepped into the backyard. Awestruck. She quickly snapped out of it. "We have to go meet the bride."

Already? We'd just gotten there.

With one last look at the gorgeous backyard jungle I followed Mom to the car. Or so I thought. Mom kept walking down the driveway. Apparently when bridezilla said she wanted Mom close she meant it. We were right next door to her.

The woman stood on her porch, waving to us as we approached. She wore a white sundress and a large, floppy hat. When she pushed the hat up and away from her face I stalled. I knew that woman.

It was Stephen's mom.