a case of the sleepies - spencer reid

this one is early seasons!spencer like pictured above🥺 I kinda got carried away but I'm not exactly mad at it. Enjoy! ~🌸

Even though you were new to the BAU, you were very much aware of the fact that Spencer Reid was a huge germaphobe. This made him closed off to most forms of touch. However, you noticed that he seemed more receptive of touch when it came from the other team members.

You understood. It was only natural for him to be more comfortable with them because he had known them for several years. But you couldn't deny the fact that you were a teensy bit jealous when he let them hug or fist bump him, or when he occasionally slept leaning on one of them on the jet.

You took him allowing touch from someone as a sign of friendship, and you wanted that with him. Not in a weird "I want to touch him" way. You just genuinely wanted his friendship, and you wanted him to feel comfortable around you.

So you were determined to get there with him.

You did everything you could think of to subtly earn his friendship. You would bring him coffee with eight sugars and lots of cream, just the way he liked it. You would genuinely listen whenever he went off on random tangents. Anything you could think of to give off friendly vibes, you did.

But it only seemed to make him more anxious around you.

He didn't act uncomfortable per say anymore, just more...nervous? JJ assured you, after you confided in her on the issue, that Spencer was just naturally nervous around girls. And he probably didn't know how to handle a pretty girl giving him attention.

That made sense in your mind. Spencer was not exactly Derek Morgan when it came to girls. But you didn't want Spencer to think you were making advances on him-at least not yet. You couldn't deny that you had a tiny crush on the young doctor, but you wanted to be his friend first. Your grandmother once told you that the best romantic relationships always start off as friends, and you lived by that.

You had one thing left in mind to get Spencer to want to be your friend: inviting him over for a Doctor Who marathon.

However, before you could ask him, Hotch called everyone together for round table. The team had a case.

You didn't get the chance to talk to Spencer much until you were on your way back from Minnesota at the end of the week. He was sitting in his usual spot on the couch, and you took the opportunity to sit in the empty space next to him.

"Hey, Spencer," you said quietly once you were in the air, "Whatcha reading?"

He looked at you with wide eyes, almost like he hadn't noticed you sit next to him. Or maybe it was surprise that you were interested in his book.

"H-hi, Y/N," he stuttered out with a small smile, "it's a true crime non-fiction novel by Truman Capote, it's called In Cold Blood."

"You'd think you'd see enough true crime with our job," you giggled, turning to face him and drawing your legs up to you, "Can you tell me about it?"

He looked at you curiously, "Y-you want to hear about my book?"

You nodded, "Yeah, it sounds interesting. Even with our job, I'm a bit of a true crime junkie myself."

His looked at you sheepishly, then down at the book in his hands, "Okay, um, basically it reconstructs the murder of a woman and her children on a Kansas farm in 1959. The author put together a comprehensive study of the killings, the investigation, and the circumstances surrounding it. The main subject of his study is the killers themselves, Perry Smith and Dick Hickcock. The gives a vivid description of them and their psychosis that is very compelling."