awake - spencer reid

You blinked once. Twice. Three times.

Squinting, all you could see was a glaringly bright bluish white light until your eyes came into focus.

You turned your head, wincing as pain shot through the side of your neck at the small movement, to see Spencer Reid passed out in a chair next to your bed, his long legs propped up next to your feet.

"Spence?" You rasped. Your voice came out hoarse, chalky, and barely above a whisper. It didn't sound like you at all.

His eyes flew open, as if even a pin drop in the room would have woken him. He met your gaze and his whole body spasmed, bolting upright as if he had been struck by lightning.

"Y/N!" He nearly yelled, his massive hand engulfing yours tightly, before he realized how loud he had been and amended to a softer tone. "Y/N, hey, you're awake. Oh my God, you're really awake."

"How long have I been here?" You asked, trying and failing to speak at normal volume, followed by a choking cough.

"Don't try to talk too much, okay? Let me call for the nurse," he said, pointedly not answering your question yet. His lanky, wrinkly button up clad torso covered your field of vision for a moment as he reached up to press the call button above your bed.

"Hey there, Miss Y/L/N," a perky nurse said, rushing in, her blonde ponytail swishing with each bouncy step. She was followed by a much grimmer looking doctor, who must've been ear retirement in both age and attitude. "Bruising on her neck looks better, doc. I'll check her ribs."

"What's going on?" You urged, eyes flickering between the three faces staring at you.

"What is the last thing you remember?" The doctor asked, his gentle tone betraying his gruff appearance.

You shut your eyes, seeing clearly the moment the world went dark. "We we're in Texas. Morgan and I almost had the unsub cornered. Em and Spence weren't far behind as backup, the others were on their way. We had only accounted for a single unsub. Morgan got him on the ground, another man grabbed me from behind. He knocked my gun from my hand. I was screaming for Morgan. The unsub was fighting him back. He couldn't shoot the man on top of me or he would hit me too...hands were on my throat...I-I couldn't breathe. Spencer, Emily, Morgan, someone, I can't-I can't do it, I'm gonna die here-"

You hadn't realized you were crying -no, sobbing- now, reliving the memory as if was happening all over again. Spencer gripped your arm.

"Look at me, hey, Y/N, open your eyes. Look at me," he begged. You opened your eyes frantically, meeting his liquid chocolate gaze inches from yours. "You're okay. It's over. He's gone. You're gonna be okay."

"That's very good. It sounds like you remember everything up until you went out, so amnesia is no longer a concern," the doctor nodded.

"Ribs are healing nicely. You'll need a compression bandage but overall, you're doing great," the nurse smiled, her pageant worthy face giving you a calm, maternal smile.

"We'll keep you for one more night to make sure the swelling to your brain doesn't flare up again. We've had you in a medically induced coma for five days. As long as you rest up today and are stable in the morning, you'll be able to go home," the doctor said calmly, his hands clasped behind his back.

"I'll be back in a few to check your vitals, your BP and heart rate look good," the nurse patted your hand, looking over at the monitor by your bed. "Just focus on resting up, okay? I'm sure your boyfriend here will make sure of it."

She threw a smile in Spencer's direction and he smiled back, simply stating, "Fiancé, actually."

"Oh! Congratulations!" The peppy nurse squeezed your hand before releasing it to type on the computer screen next to her. "Hopefully this doesn't put a kink in any of the wedding festivities."