• Chapter Two • (edited)

~Monday~

I didn't notice the girl until she spoke.

"Hello." She wasn't loud, but she startled me all the same and I snapped my notebook closed. "Sorry"

"It's fine." I replied a little too harshly. The girl was unfazed. She sat beside me against the worn out pool fence and I could finally see what she looked like without starting into the sun. A messy bun in a color between dirty blonde and light brown sat atop her head, her skin was tanned from many days in the sun. Her oversized shirt looked like it was tie-dyed by hand and almost covered her denim shorts.

"My name is Moira." She said, holding out her hand.

"Blake." I took her hand and shook it. I couldn't help but compare my outfit to hers. Somehow, her simple combination looked stylish, while my outfit of jean shorts, last year's camp shirt, and my beloved black vans looked like something I threw on without a second thought. Which is what I did.

"How long have you been coming to camp?" Moira asked, bringing her knees to her chest. The sun's reflection off her chunky red and black sneakers hit my eye and I had to move my head to avoid being blinded.

"Since I was able to go to kids camp. I always enjoy it here." Realizing that she was not going to leave as I had hoped, I stuffed my notebook in my navy drawstring bag and took a drink from my water bottle.

"Which church do you go to?" This girl would not stop with the questions. Didn't she get the vibe that I wanted to be alone?

"We're from Hope Valley First Assembly." Two shadows appeared and Blythe's voice held an edge. Even after running around camp in June's eighty two degree heat, her make up was flawless and not a hair out of place. Her royal purple tank top was still fashionably tucked in to ripped denim shorts, her white converse like new. I was pretty sure I sat in a small puddle of water from the morning's rain.

"No way, I live in Blossom Hills!" Moira exclaimed. Blossom Hills and Hope Valley were only fifteen minutes away from each other at most.

"Blake, what team are you in?" Trisha asked. Trisha always looked more casual, I guess, compared to Blythe. Her wavy red hair followed the slight, not at all soothing breeze, while sleeves of a blue-green flannel tied around her waist followed its motion. Her light blue shirt, sand-colored shorts, and classic grey Birkenstocks reminded me of something someone would wear to the beach, not church camp.

"I'm on hawks." I answered. The camp was divided into two categories, junior high and senior high. Everyone in senior high was on a bird team, while everyone in junior high was on a carnivor team.

"We got Orioles. Hopefully they keep their winning streak from the past few years." Blythe smirked. For the past three years team Orioles always got first place or close to it.

"I think the hawks might have a lucky streak coming on." Moira smiled at me and stood up. I followed.

"In your dreams." Trisha retorted. Blythe stuck out her hand.

Moira shook it once. "May the best team win."

~~~

After Moira and I rejoined our team, a siren sounded from one of the golf carts --horn blow-- signaling the groups to listen up.

"The first team to have everyone in front of the auditorium gets five extra minutes for showers!" The athletic directors announced over a bullhorn, immediately throwing counselors and campers alike into a frenzy. It was like fish in an aquarium on feeding days.

"Stay close, I don't want to lose you!" Moira grabbed my hand and pulled me through the crowed. I spied our flag, white with the yellow word "Hawks" painted on it in cursive. It looked better than most of the flags from my past teams.