Chapter 2

It was late at night when the sky was at its darkest, Minho tried to sneak out of the tent, and got hit with the nipping breeze of the late night. Shivering a bit, Minho stuck one combat boot foot out the door, stopping when he heard rustling behind him—looking back only to be met with complete darkness and the slight outline of his childhood friend, Rain, laying on the ground in her military sleeping bag. Sighing a breath of relief, he steps out completely and zips the tent up. The dewy grass beneath his feet flattens with each step he takes towards the RV. Minho climbs up the metal ladder that leads to the top of the RV, at the top, there's an old tattered beach chair facing the entrance of the camp. Jonathan, a member of their group, was sprawled out in the beach chair, his cheek rested on the barrel of the gun, and his arm slung around the neck, hugging it close to him. Minho rolled his eyes at the man before him. We need to kick him out of the night watch crew. Minho thought.

"Hey, Jonathan, get up, I'm taking over now." Minho grabbed the gun and pulled it out of the sleeping male's embrace, causing him to smack his face against the RV.

"Dude, what was that for?" The blonde male rubbed his now throbbing cheek.

"Try not to fall asleep next time."

"It won't happen again."

Jonathan got up out of the beach chair and walked towards the ladder and disappeared from Minho's sight, crouching down, Minho's butt planted itself in the uncomfortable beach chair. He focused his eyes out on the horizon to keep a lookout for any dead ones that could be wondering their way.

Meanwhile, back in the tent, Minho snuck out of, laid a worried female. Her plain fingernails were stuck in her mouth as she nervously chewed down on them, every time Minho would get up for night watch the sound of him unzipping the tent would draw her out of her sleep, but for Minho's sake, she would lay there and pretend to be still asleep. Sleeping alone in the tent without anyone next to her made her feel vulnerable, that at any moment a dead one could appear and tear her limb from limb, it's not like she got much sleep as it is anyways, with the nightmares of her parent's death, a good nights sleep was something she hadn't had in months.

There was one thing that she was looking forward to, something that for once, made her happy in this now gruesome world. That when the sunrises Minho is going to take her out to the sparing area of the camp and teach her combat lessons, he said the number one rule to being secure is learning how to fight. She had no idea what was going to happen, fighting was something the old her, before the apocalypse, despised. No way would she ever want to hurt another human being! Even if they were rude to her, she would just walk away and ignore them, but Rain, she was a sweet girl, everyone adored her, and barely anyone would try to pick a fight with her. You could say she was a popular girl.

Before she knew it, the sun started peeking out and lighting up the earth a bit, wiggling her body over to the door she unzips the tent, laying in her sleeping bag, and looked up at the sky that's painted in breathtaking pinks and oranges. It reminded her of how Minho and her would wake up at five in the morning and go out to the fields behind their houses, drinking coffee and watching the sunrise. Those were the days when everything was perfect. Just Minho and her living life to the fullest, but now they're living each day in fear of what could happen. Reminiscing in the old days was making her chest tighten and tears started to form at the brim of her eyes, those days are gone, the pain and realization of how shitty everything has gotten overwhelmed Rains body and she began to sob quietly. She couldn't even let her tears roll down her face in tsunamis like she wanted to in fear that she'd be too loud and wake up the others or also catch the attention of a dead one lurking somewhere nearby.

"Rain," A soft voice flowed through her eardrums and caused her body to jolt, and she quickly lifted her hands to face and wiped away the tears that stained her flushed cheeks.