Once we're inside, Calvin sends me one more hopeful look. He wants to know if it's his potna's blood I'm carrying on my shirt. I want to tell him "No, not that brother," but I don't have the energy. I don't have it in me to confirm or deny which person I lost that means the world to me.

Honestly, I wouldn't be walking if it wasn't for Caesar guiding me forward with his hands on my shoulders.

He comes behind me now. He stares at Calvin on the other side of the door.

"Guard the fuckin' door. Don't let nobody in unless I say so," Caesar says.

"Aight," Calvin says.

He takes a step back from the door. Caesar wastes no time slamming it closed.

He turns around to face me. His hair is cut lower than it was when he ran up on me in the club. It also looks like he didn't run a brush over it.

He's dressed in a white tee and wrinkly light-wash jeans. It's not like him to come outside without being in tip-top shape so I assume he rushed out the second I told him where I was.

I guess I called the right person.

"C'mon, let's get you ina shower," Caesar says.

I don't make a move towards the stairs. I've been okay this far probably 'cause I was still in shock. But the threat of walking up stairs on my ankle is enough to snap me back to reality.

I pull my pant leg up to show Caesar.

"Damn. Aight well, I got you," He says.

I'm caught off guard when he swoops me into his arms bridal-style. I wrap my arms around his neck.

He doesn't have on his signature cologne, but he still smells like home. I bury my face into that smell.

Luckily, it's a loft so there's not that many doors. I don't have to do anything but hold on while he carries me into the bedroom at the top of the stairs.

I let go as he eases me onto the creme bedspread.

"I'm going start the water for you," He says.

I like how he doesn't ask me any questions. Maybe he had questions when he found me on the side of the road. Maybe I answered them. I don't know, but I'm happy he doesn't ask me anything now.

He walks into the adjoined bathroom. From where I'm sitting, I only see a standing shower. There's no signs of a tub in the small room.

I look down at my ankle. It's crazy knowing how much it's gonna hurt to be on my leg that long, but I can't bring myself to imagine a pain that's worse than the kind I already feel.

The shower explodes into noise as Caesar steps inside to turn it on. I watch him as he walks back over to me.

He lifts me into his arms like before. At first I think he'll carry me straight into the shower, but he detours to the toilet instead. He sits me down, then bends down so that we're face-to-face.

"You gon' tell me what happened now, Red?" Caesar asks.

"You saw what happened," I say.

"No. I saw Tory--"

I close my eyes.

Caesar sighs. I don't have to see him to know that he's rubbing his head right now.

"Aight, Candyce. I'ma try to catch the news. Let me know when you ready to get out the shower."

I open my eyes when he stands up. He's out the bathroom before I can ask him not to leave.