In what felt like no time at all, I had allowed my body to take me to the beach. It was freezing cold, and I kept my hands tucked in my pockets at all times trying to warm up, occasionally heating them with my breath. 

The sun was just waking, and the lack of bodies on the foggy beach provided a calm over the morning, despite my growing nerves over starting the new job today. I breathed heavily, allowing the crispness of the salt water to clear my head and find its way into my lungs, instilling the zen that I craved.

This felt right. Hopeful. I needed this. Maybe this move was the start of a whole new world for me.

I was startled after half an hour walking along the shore alone, kicking sand and looking out over the water, to hear footsteps jogging my way. My head snapped from the water and tilted to the side in confusion at the sight, witnessing a man running towards me wearing nothing but cut off jean shorts.

The fuck?

He approached me unfazed by his run nor the pierce of the freezing cold air around him, his russet skin looking as if it was steaming in contrast to the icy breeze.

"Are you okay?" he asked me frantically when he reached me, looking around my body for signs to panic over.

I met him with a puzzled look. "Um yes? You're the one who's topless and barefoot on a beach in twenty degree weather," I pointed out, refraining from accusing the man of being insane.

He didn't seem convinced of my safety. "Why are you out here?"

I scoffed. "Because I like walking on the beach, is that okay with you?" I retorted, moving around him to continue my walk. Who the hell did this bastard think he is?

"I'm sorry, it's just...we don't get many people out here this early, or at all for that matter...and you're alone, it could be dangerous."

I returned to look at him again incredulously. "Ok, well I appreciate your concern, but I'm absolutely capable of taking care of myself. Thank you." I demanded, not sparing him my sarcastic tone to highlight his irritating sense of authority.

"Why don't I know you?" he said, walking slightly behind me to catch up.

Why wasn't this kid leaving me alone?

"I guess I'm new to town. Why are you so concerned over me? This is a public space," I explained, getting real tired of his questions. "And while I'm asking the questions, how the hell are you not frozen?"

"Sorry. I just worry about people on their own at this hour. And we certainly don't get a lot of new faces around here." he explained, attempting to shake off his misplaced concern and reassure me. "And I guess I don't feel the cold."

I laughed. "That has to be a major understatement, you're just insane." I affirmed.

To my surprise, he giggled lightly, demeanour instantly lifting when he realised I wasn't a threat and had answered to his satisfaction. Maybe he was some neighbourhood watch kind of figure.

"I'm Embry, by the way." he offered, stretching a hand out for me. "Welcome to La Push. Sorry for bombarding you, small towns are really predictable so I was confused."

I smiled, accepting his hand. "Oakley. Nice to meet you." Far out he was hot.

Like temperature hot. Although yes, he did have handsome quality also. Very.

"You're surely sick...how are you this warm in this weather?!" I pointed out shocked at the contrast of our skin. 

He just laughed it off. "I'm not sick, just cooling down from a run." he decided.

Fortuity // Seth Clearwaterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें