Chapter 23

I snarled at the male in front of me and he tightened his grip on my shoulder. I had enough running from him, I had every right to rip his throat out and I wasn’t gonna hold back. 

    “Behave Adalyn or I’ll have to punish you later.” Matthias growled lowly.

    “Go ahead and try.” I grinned and shaved him backwards. Matthias stumbled back, surprised at me having the gall to fight back. He started walking towards me with determination in his every step.

    “You’re mine!” He yelled, no longer caring about someone noticing his presence.

    I just smiled sweetly in response angering him farther, Matthias raised his hand, and brought it down on my face. I didn’t let myself wince, I had become used to this kind of treatment anyways. I just tilted my head to the side and kept smiling at him.

    Matthias backed up a step clearly freaked out by my lack of response. I let my eyes turn the pastel blue of an Omega and felt the same calm drift over me that I had in the office. Well this one was slightly different. 

    I felt cold, an icy rage washing over me, and the sense of calm turned sinister. Matthias froze and I grinned, that’s right Mr. Blues Eyes. Stay right there, let me come to you, don’t move a muscle. 

    He didn't move, he just stood there staring into my eyes, he was trapped, and that made me happy. Now there was no chance he could run from me… or his punishment. I walked towards him the same evil smile still stretching my lips.

    My eye contact with him broke when I lunged, too bad he didn’t have enough time to run. He only had enough time to turn away before my half shifted canines tore into his shoulder. I ripped into his body loving each and every satisfying crunch of his bones. I knew he tried to fight back, but it wasn’t enough to save him from me.

    I tore him apart, blood soaking my clothes and staining my skin a bright red. I thrust my hand into his chest ripping out his still beating heart and crushing it in my hand. I crushed his the same way he had tried so hard to crush mine.

    I felt the calm disappear and looked down at the bloody artwork I had just created. Maybe I should tell someone about the disemboweled body on Jaxton’s front lawn. I turned and saw Silas standing at the beginning of the driveway with a stern look on his face as he looked at the blood covering me.

    “Stay here and get cleaned up. I’ll deal with the body, and tell August what happened.”

    I nodded and walked into the stone house with bloody footprints being left in my wake. I headed up the stairs, Matthias's scent clinging to me and I scrunch my nose in disgust. I stripped off my clothes and left them in a wet heap on the floor. They would have to be burned and so would the bed linens. 

    I stepped into the shower, my entire body coated in blood, the iron smell stinging my nostrils. I turned on the shower and jolted when the cold water hit my skin before warming up. I sighed, the silence ringing in my ears and the regret starting to creep in.

    It wasn’t that I felt bad I killed him, I felt bad I didn’t take longer doing it. At least my wolf half was satisfied. He got what he deserved and I’m glad I was the one to deliver it.

    I hummed quietly to myself scrubbing at my skin and watching the water turn pink as it was rinsed out of my hair. My humming turned to soft singing and I turned loving the acoustics of the bathroom.

Hey, you
I'm just now leaving
Can I come around later on this evening?
Or do you need time?
Yes, of course, that's fine
Hey, you
Good morning
I'm sure you're busy now, why else would you ignore me?
Or do you need space?
You can't help it if your mind has changed

I started lathering up my hair with the apple scented shampoo. The soap turned a light pink from the blood that hadn’t yet washed out.

So go ahead and break my heart again
Leave me wonderin' why the hell I ever let you in
Are you the definition of insanity?
Or am I?
Oh, it must be nice
To love someone who lets you break them twice

I rinse the shampoo out, relaxing slightly as the smell of iron starts to fade. My breath came easier and my throat started to throb from the effort of singing for the first time in a really long time.

You're so blue
Are you still breathing?
Won't you tell me if you found that deeper meaning
Do you think I've gone blind?
I know it's not the truth when you say, "I'm fine"

I searched for the body wash, the lyrics ringing in my ears as my volume increased.

So go ahead and break my heart again
Leave me wonderin' why the hell I ever let you in
Are you the definition of insanity?
Or am I?
Oh, it must be nice
To love someone who lets you break them twice

I scrubbed every inch of my body, I never wanted to smell like him again. The images of his shredded body started flashing in front of my eyes and I sang louder trying to distract myself from what I had done.

Don't pretend that I'm the instigator
You were the one, but you were born to say goodbye
Kissed me half a decade later
That same perfume, those same sad eyes

My hands started shaking and my voice broke, I killed someone… and I don’t regret it. He deserved it, he deserved it, he deserved it, he deserved it, maybe saying that will get rid of the guilt of not feeling anything.

Go ahead and break my heart again
Leave me wonderin' why the hell I ever let you in
Are you the definition of insanity?
Or am I?
Or am I?
It must be nice
To love someone who lets you break them twice

He broke me, he destroyed me. He deserved it, he made me this, he turned me into this monster who craved his death. I sank to the floor of the shower, holding my knees to my chest and sobbing softly. I cried for the loss of myself, I cried for what he turned me into, I cried for the innocence ripped from me.

    I sat in the shower for a few more minutes before getting up and conditioning my hair. I left the shower and didn’t let another tear fall. He didn’t deserve my tears, he shouldn’t be able to hurt me again, he was gone. For good this time.

    I walked out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around my waist not bothering to cover my chest with it. Steam rolled out of the bathroom with me and I took a deep breath, letting it out only when my lungs started to scream for release. 

    I walked out of his room noticing the lack of footprints of the wooden floor and that his bed had been stripped of all that had been on it. The pillows, blankets and sheets had disappeared. Everything that had held Matthias’s scent was gone, vanished into thin air. Or it had been taken away by my male whose scent was now prominent in the room, but starting to fade.

    I open the door to my room, the cold of the house nipping at me and raising goosebumps on my arms, my nipples are hardening in the cold air. I walked slowly, in a dreamlike state, I couldn’t really feel myself moving. I knew I was because everything I saw was changing, I knew I was looking in my closet for pajamas.

    I knew I was walking back across the hall to pick out some of Jaxton’s clothes after remembering I didn’t have any of my own. I grabbed a dark grey henley and pulled it over my head, my wet hair dampening the shirt. I looked in another drawer and found a pair of black boxers that I tugged on after letting the towel drop to the floor.

    The clothes stuck to my wet skin and I shook my head focusing on that feeling to help myself come back to reality. I walked slowly downstairs the cold steps biting into the calloused skin of my feet. I walked into the living room and flipped on the switch of the fireplace. 

I stood in front of it trying to warm myself with the flames, my prune like fingers stretched out. I looked up when I heard the front door open, soon after three large male bodies filled the doorway. 

August, Jaxton, and Silas standing in the opening that led to the living room. Their wide eyes staring at me, almost like they feared me. Except Jaxton. 

He had a small smile playing on his lips, grim satisfaction and pride in his female for killing the threat to us. I wanted to smile in answer to his, but I felt like that would be inappropriate. I think I was gonna have a discussion with them that I wouldn’t like.

I hope you guys liked this.