Chapter 2

I entered the waiting room and looked around for an empty seat. I ignored the curious faces and found a seat in the corner of the room.  The seat was between a short blond girl with chubby cheeks and a short skinny girl with shoulder length brown hair. The room was silent and unnerving 20 chairs were set up in a ring around the room. Only one chair was left and the wolf outside had told me we only had a few minutes left.

Just as the thought crossed my mind a tall blond woman walked in looking around at us with a smirk on her face. I ignored her when she stared at the chubby girl beside me. My eyes widened when the girl beside me narrowed her eyes and bared her teeth.

I instantly respected the girl beside me and didn’t bother to hold back my wicked grin when the bitch in front of her huffed and turned away. I always found the werewolf books humans came up with silly, mostly because they had convinced themselves there was no such thing as a chubby werewolf.

I focused on the females around me before sighing and looking down at my jean clad thighs. I went to study the room trying to ignore the other wolves in the room. I looked around at the white walls and the bright lights hanging from the ceiling. The floor was a light grey tile.

All of us looked up as a door across from me opened, a short female looked at a clipboard and called the names of three wolves. They got up quietly and followed the short wolf out the door. Two of the females that left were smiling in excitement, the last one had her eyes darting around the room, fear all over her face. I could’ve sworn I smelled her fear from where I sat on the other side of the room.

It went on like that for the next half hour, the female would come back after 10 minutes before calling another three names and shuffling them out the door. Eventually there were only eleven of us left and I knew my name would be called soon. The wolf was back standing at the door with her clipboard in hand.

    My name was the second one called. Immediately I could feel the anxiety rising inside me like a tidal wave cresting and about to break. I got up slowly, moving towards the door and taking deep breaths. The elders had explained what would happen, but knowing didn’t make the fear any less real.

    Behind the door we were led by the female into a shower room. There were three other females inside waiting with soap and sponges in hand. I took a deep breath and waited for the order to strip. The lead wolf said the order and in unison we all started taking off our clothes. They sprayed us down with cold water from a hose and I had to resist the urge to snarl. We were being treated like animals.

    The females waiting on the side came closer and started scrubbing every inch on our skin. I remembered being told by the Elders that it was to keep the males from scenting another male on us. To keep down the jealous, possessive rage that some males go through after claiming a female.

    Some couples didn’t leave their room for a week, others can be even longer depending on the dominance of the wolf. This was one of the things that rank didn’t have too much to do with. It depended on the female too now that I think about it. I kept trying to think of different ways to keep my mind busy, that way I didn’t have to focus on the rough scrubbing over every inch of my body.

    I started thinking about the Ring itself; it would be easier than thinking about my probable mating. I knew that the Ring had been made over 100 years ago. Originally the walls had been made out of wood, now they were made of smooth concrete. I’d never been sure if it was to keep the females from escaping or to stop other males from sneaking in to claim one of us as his own. Maybe both.

The Ring had been founded as a way to keep the population up. At the time it was founded there had only been 4 packs in the United States. The largest at the time only had a little over 300 members, they were called the Night Walkers. Now they are only the 3rd largest out of11 in the country.

Males still outnumber the females participating in the Ring 2 to 1. Every year 20 females get picked for the Ring. The Elders stated it was an honor for us to serve our packs. Everyone gets a number from 1 to 40 in the form of a temporary tattoo on the back of our necks. A way for them to see if they needed to look for bodies or any newly mated who couldn’t take the time to come out to fuck on a real bed.

Sometimes the males would have their greedy eyes on the same female and would fight for her. Other times a male would’ve been fought off by two females who had claimed each other, those cases weren’t as common...but they always made me smile. There have even been a few times where two males would claim each other.

I wiced when the hose was turned on again and we were sprayed down thoroughly. The females grabbed three black towels from a shelf and started rubbing down the wolf they had just scrubbed. When we were dried we got herded like cattle down another hallway, to be put into a different room.

We got handed white shirts and pants, the order clear. The three of us dressed in silence, the only noise was the low rumble from the female to my left. We got shuffled to another room, this time though the wolf who kept leading us left. We were in a room with one other wolf, who was sitting next to a pile of temporary tattoos with numbers on them.

The female glanced at the clipboard on the table and called the growling wolf’s name. She stepped forward quickly, her head held high, dominance radiating from her. I wanted to bow my head and show her my neck. The female sat in the pulled out chair and got one of the tattoos pressed into her neck. It was hard to see from here, but I think I saw the number 10. She was pointed into a new room attached to the one we were in now.

I straightened up and tried to act as forceful as the female before me, but I knew it didn’t work. I was submissive by nature, something that the blue eyed devil took advantage of, I was only dominant if someone I loved was threatened. When it came to myself I just took what I was given, I felt that I deserved a lot of the things he did to me. I don't think I will ever get rid of that feeling.

I sat down in the chair waiting patiently for the number to be pressed into my skin. When she was done I went into the same door the dominant wolf had gone in. I was greeted by a replica of the waiting room and huffed out a sigh, moving to sit in the first available seat.

I waited till the last female arrived and then we waited some more. Then the same short wolf came into the room and opened a hidden door on one side of the room. She leads us to massive steel doors and once we have all gathered in front of it she knocks three times.

The huge doors start opening and we stare, a mixture of fear and excitement rushes through the group. The short wolf in front of us gave us one final command. Run.

Tada more chapters are on the way