27

SHE WOLF
— 27. Second Siege of Paris

  At where they set up camp, Ylva was sitting beside Bjorn and Sihtric, near where Lagertha stood

At where they set up camp, Ylva was sitting beside Bjorn and Sihtric, near where Lagertha stood. Just then, Ragnar entered, followed by Harald and Halfdan.

"So what do you suggest we do?" She heard Harald ask Ragnar, causing her to turn her head.

"I suggest we do the obvious," Ragnar answered in a calm tone as he picked up two cups and placed them on the ground, "We try and sail straight past the fort upriver. But we protect our heads as we force our way through."

"Isn't that what your brother is going to expect us to do?" Halfdan questioned as he raised a skeptical brow at Ragnar.

"Yes, but he won't be expecting us to attack by land also," Ragnar informed them and Ylva smiled slightly at the idea, "In unison with the boats, we'll send a party on foot to the nearest fort. And they will engage the archers, diverting their attention away from the boats. Yes?"

"I agree. The boats have more chance without the arches hindrance," Lagertha spoke up in a calm tone.

"Any objections?" Bjorn questioned as he glanced around at the people who had gathered around and no one spoke up.

"I'll lead that party by foot," Lagertha spoke up and Sihtric nodded.

"I will join," He added into what she had said.

"Then it is agreed we attack tomorrow," Ylva spoke up and many men cheered loudly.

"At least, let ours be the first boat through," Harald insisted and Ragnar nodded in agreement, not really whether or not the man's boat was first.

With that, the crowd dispersed. Ylva was walking with Bjorn when Freya appeared. She stopped and turned to the girl while Bjorn went to approach Erlendur.

"Erlendur!" Bjorn called out to the man as he removed his ring, "This belongs to you, yes?"

Erlendur stopped walking. He turned to Bjorn, acting as though he didn't know what he was talking about. "It's is your father, King Horik's ring."

"Mmm. No, you're mistaken," Erlendur replied, shaking his head before he began to walk away, "Never seen that ring before."

Freya and Ylva walked up to Bjorn, the three of them being to chuckle since they knew it was Erlendur's ring.

"Lying bastard," Ylva commented as she shook her head in disapproval while Freya began to smile.

____

The following day, it was finally time to attack Paris. Ylva stood on the same boat as Bjorn, the two of them looking outward.

"I hate my uncle," Bjorn confessed to Ylva, who smiled slightly as she lifted her shield.