It was close to the new year and at the Yol celebration in Ashton, people stood outside. They banged on drums and children ran around, laughing and playing.

Inside, the Yule log was brought in by a few men. Ylva was sitting on her throne, Gyda sitting at her feet while Rorik sat on her lap. She had her hand placed on her belly, which had grown since Bjorn left for the mountains. She was pregnant, after all. Bjorn's wish had come true and Ylva couldn't wait for him to learn the news when he returned.

"People!" The priest called out loudly to the people located inside the Great Hall, "May the Yule log burn throughout Yol, and bring its warmth and light to us in these darkest of days. And to Earl Ylva and her family, may they feel the warmth of the fire, like the love of the people!"

The people cheered and Ylva smiled, clapping her hands together as the celebrations continued.

A servant walked over and Ylva turned, giving her a questioning look. "A messenger has come. Freya is on her way to Ashton," She informed her and Ylva smiled in response.

That night, a sacrifice was made to the Gods and Ylva was the one to do. Still, Freya had not arrived, which worried Ylva. It barely took a day even by foot to travel from Kattegat to Ashton. Where was she?

_____

The following day, Ylva was sitting on her throne, having a conversation with Sihtric about Yol when a child entered.

"Earl Ylva! Earl Ylva!" The child called out worriedly as he ran over to Ylva.

"What is it, Gunnar?" Ylva asked as she stood up and walked closer to him. She knew the boy well. He was a good boy, a kind one. He was friendly and always greeted her whenever she returned from Kattegat.

"A man has come," He informed her uneasily, "He brings five ships filled with men."

"What?" Sihtric asked in confusion, he and Ylva immediately sharing an alarmed look, "Where is he now?"

"He is here," A voice suddenly spoke up, causing Ylva to protectively pull Gunnar closer to her as the unknown man entered with twenty men. However, she knew he had a lot more men than that if he came with five ships.

"Earl Ylva. Allow me to introduce myself," The man informed her as he grinned widely, "My name is Earl Henrik."

Ylva tried to hide her uneasiness. She turned to Sihtric, who shared the same expression as her. They had an uncle named Henrik but there was no way it was him. Not after so many years in exile.

"An Earl?" Ylva asked him, smiling at the thought, "Well, then, you are most welcome to our hearth and home. Come, warm yourself by the fire. What's mine is yours."

"What of my men?"

"They will be taken care of," She assured him with a kind smile on her face, "The ones you have with you now are welcome to whatever I have here. Those on your ships I shall have food and drink brought to them."

"Ylva," Sihtric called out, grabbing her by the arm. He pulled her closer to him before he began to speak to her in a whisper, "Do you think that's wise? We don't know who he is."

"Exactly," Ylva whispered to him softly, "We need to figure out who he is and what he's doing here."

Sihtric remained silent, knowing she had a point. He watched as she turned Henrik and smiled. "Come, sit with me. I'd like to know more about you."

Henrik nodded and walked closer to Ylva. He sat down beside her and was immediately handed a drink by a servant.

"Tell me, Earl Henrik, why have you come here?" She asked the man curiously, forcing a smile onto her face.