"It's fine." Daisy shrugs.

Susan frowns again, and takes a deep breath. "Just— promise me you'll do better this year, okay?" She steps towards her daughter, gently placing her hands on her shoulders to reassure her.

"I will, mom." Daisy spoke quietly, nodding a bit. Susan gave her a faint smile, before grabbing her keys and heading off to work. Daisy followed her out the door, where Kai's car sat parked on the street waiting for her.

She inhaled sharply, catching glance of Josette in the front seat. Daisy's heartbeat increased rapidly, as she approached the car and opened it up, sitting in the back seat.

"Good morning." Kai says, putting the car in drive and beginning the journey to school.

"Hi." Daisy responds, she glances at Kai in the mirror above his head.

Josette turns around in her seat, smiling softly at Daisy. "Hey, Daze." She says, trying to make conversation. "How was your Christmas?"

"Fine." Daisy says, with little to no emotion, before turning away from Josette's gaze. Josette lingered a bit before turning back around in her seat, swallowing harshly. Daisy was surprised she was bold enough to even be in this car with her and Kai after the conversation they had at the beginning of Winter break.

The rest of the ride was silent, and as soon as the car was parked Josette was the first to get out and walk into the school without saying another word. Daisy rolls her eyes, watching her out the window.

"I tried to get her to walk to school but dad said it was too cold." Kai sighs, turning to Daisy in the back seat. He smiled at her. "Hi." He says, Daisy leaned towards him and kissed him
happily.

"Not a single bone in my body wants to walk into that school right now." Daisy groans.

"Same." Kai sighs. There was a quick silence as he thought before he spoke again. "Let's ditch."

"Ditch school?" Daisy raises her eyebrows.

Kai nodded. "Mhm."

Daisy wanted to, she really did. But she couldn't, missing the first day back would set her behind in every single one of her classes, and she didn't want to upset her mom any further. "I can't." She shook her head.

"Why not?" Kai frowned.

She sighed. "Because my grades suck." She let out a scoff.

"Grades don't matter." Kai shrugged. "Class doesn't matter. School doesn't matter. None of it really matters." He laughed a bit out of excitement.

He was right. "I told my mom I'd do better this year."

"It's just one day." Kai frowned. "She doesn't even have to know."

Daisy mentally debated with herself for a few seconds, watching everyone she despised walk into the front doors of the school. One day won't hurt anything. "Fine." She rolls her eyes.

Kai smiles excitedly, tapping the passenger seat for Daisy to come sit. She climbs over from the backseat and sits down, as Kai puts the car in reverse. Daisy looks around quickly, earning confused glances from the rest of her peers who were wondering what they were doing.

"Shit." Daisy says, seeing one of the teachers who worked the cross walk that morning, waving his arms at Kai with a confused face, before quickly walking towards them. "Shit! Go!" Daisy laughs, covering her mouth as Kai slams his foot on the gas out the parking lot. "Go! Go! Go!" Daisy watches as the teacher falls out of view as Kai turns the corner off the school property.