Chapter 28

Clarke found herself on the beach after her first day back to class. She managed pretty well considering she still got uncomfortable around lots of people. It wasn't the classes that bothered her, it was the stares and whispers. Clarke absolutely hated that wherever she went, they she couldn't escape them.

It became overwhelming.

She just kept her head down and went to class without speaking to anyone other than texting her friends and Lexa to let them know she was doing okay.

Now, Clarke sat with her knees drawn up to her chest, her bare foot dug into the sand while her booted foot was propped on a towel. She gazed out towards the ocean and normally that brought her peace, now all she felt was anxiety.

"Hey, love," Lexa called to get her attention before she sat down behind her and wrapped her arms around her, "Why didn't you wait for me?"

Clarke shrugged, "I wanted to see if I could do it myself," She leaned back into Lexa's embrace and finally felt the peace she was looking for, "I miss surfing, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get out there now. I feel like a piece of me was taken away."

Lexa kissed the side of her head and held her tighter, "If you honestly don't want to surf again, I'll support you one hundred percent," She paused and Clarke had a feeling of what she was going to say, "But if there's a part of you that still wants to surf because you love it, than don't let anyone or anything stop you."

"Okay," Clarke nodded, mulling over what Lexa had said. She needed some more time until she made that decision, "How was class?"

"Boring," Lexa chuckled against her, "I just missed you. It's hard being away from you."

"I missed you too," Clarke smiled and turned to press their lips together in a soft, tender kiss. It was nice to be able to just be with Lexa and not worry about anything else at the moment. It was something she planned to always treasure, "I'm glad class was okay for you though."

Lexa raised an eyebrow"What about you? I know we've texted, but you didn't really elaborate," Lexa peppered kisses across her neck and Clarke couldn't help but lean her head back against Lexa's shoulder to give her more access.

"Could've been better, could've been worse, honestly," Clarke gripped onto Lexa's hand as Lexa sucked on her pulse point, "I made it through my first day back, so I guess that's what matters."

Lexa pulled back to look into her eyes, "That's exactly right, Clarke. One step at a time and one day at a time. No matter what I'll be right by your side."

Clarke could see the love and sincerity shining like a beacon in Lexa's eyes and just knowing Lexa would be there helped immensely, and she meant every word.

"Thank you," Clarke looked back out at the ocean where the tide started to roll in. She moved to stand up, but Lexa kept a tight hold around her waist.

"Where do you think you're going?" Lexa growled playfully and nipped her ear. For a split second, Clarke was back in the locked room and she tensed up. Only Lexa's voice saying her name brought her back to the present.

"Sorry, babe," Clarke's shoulders dropped because she hated ruining a perfectly good moment with Lexa.

"You don't ever have to apologize, love," Lexa murmured softly against her hair, "I shouldn't have...I wasn't..." the regret was deep in her voice.

Clarke cut her off by capturing Lexa's lips because she needed to taste and feel Lexa. She wanted to lose herself in Lexa and remind herself that she was here with her and not there with him.

She was safe.

Lexa moaned into the kiss and swiped her tongue across Clarke's bottom lip. She opened her mouth and groaned at the feel of Lexa's tongue against hers. Before she realized it, Clarke had straddled Lexa's lap, her hands tangled in Lexa's hair and the kiss was getting dirtier. Lexa's hands were on her ass encouraging her.