Chapter 21

The beeping of the monitor was what Lexa heard when she blinked her eyes open. Her head hurt along with her side when she tried to move. She moved her head to the side and caused her vision to swim and the smell of Anya's perfume overpowered the stench of wherever she was. Her friend was asleep in a chair nearby, a thin blanket covering her. Bags were under Anya's eyes as though she hadn't slept well which she possibly couldn't have in a hospital recliner.

She felt the scratchy sheets on the bed and kicked the covers up and realized she was lying in a hospital bed. Lexa clenched her hands into the blanket and looked around wildly, she didn't think she was hurt that bad on the field, than the realization dawned.

Clarke...

Right as Lexa received the ball, she looked towards the stands to find nobody there and her heart plummeted in her chest.

Clarke...

Anya looked directly at her and the look on her face told Lexa all she needed to know.

Clarke...

What do you mean, you can't find her, she wasn't supposed to go anywhere alone.

Clarke...

It was a text that read, 'She's mine now.'

Someone took Clarke. The beep of the monitor sped up as Lexa's heart rate did. Cold fear gripped her body as she tried to get out of the bed in a panic.

"Lexa!!" Anya's hands grabbed at her arms.

"Let me go!" Lexa shouted, fighting back. She struggled against her friend, "they have Clarke!" she fought with everything she had, but her body felt weak. Unbidden tears started streaming down her face.

"I know!" Anya shouted back, "I know, Lex, but we're gonna fix it! We're going to find her."

Lexa got her legs over the side of the bed, "let me go, An!"

"Lexa, Lexa, stop!" Anya fought back.

Out of the corner of her eye Lexa saw people running into the room. Nurses. Shouting things at ler. Her head felt dizzy. Her vision swum, "someone took Clarke!...." she tried getting up again.

"Lexa, no!" Anya shouted. Then she was in Lexa's face and pushing her down onto the hospital bed. Lexa fought back, "I have to!" she shouted out, hitting her friend's shoulders as hard as she could not realising how feeble and weak the motions were, "Clarke's gone! I have to.. Clarke...." Lexa's eyes rolled back in her head as she fainted again.

The sun shined brightly over the water at their spot on the beach and Clarke was sitting there in her blue sundress and her hair down in waves across her shoulders. She was in her arms and they were staring out over the water at the waves crashing to shore.

It was the perfect afternoon and Lexa laid a kiss on Clarke's bare shoulder, "I love you."

"I love you too," Clarke smiled, "My dad should be here any minute."

"Your dad," Nerves fluttered in her stomach at the mention of Jake Griffin, "I can't wait to meet him."

"He's gonna love you, don't worry," Clarke squeezed her hand.

"I'm not worried," She said and laid her head on Clarke's shoulder, "What's not to love?"

Clarke laughed and it was music to her ears, "So full of yourself, aren't you love?"

"Never," Lexa kissed her cheek and then the corner of her lips, "I got you to fall in love with me after all."

"I think you got that backwards," Clarke kissed her lightly on the lips, "Hey, he's here."