She's Mine: Chapter 16

Start from the beginning

Another trip to the restroom was calling to Eliza, but she was stopped as soon as she stepped foot outside her doors. The awkward air between her and Troy was obvious, but there was something else that was wrong once she noticed him storming by and down the hall to his office. 

From her trip there and back to the bathroom, her mind was clouded with the strangeness that has lingered around them. He was distant from her at the meetings– especially physically. His eyes were more friendly to the top of a desk or floor whenever she was present, and she had to admit guilt from dismissing him from her office the way she did.

Eliza couldn't help the way that she felt, but now she had more sense about Troy Daniels and knew that shunning him could result with an emotional absence of some sort. 

With her purse on her shoulder and briefcase in hand, she thought she was ready to leave for the day. However, her grip around her door handle was speaking volumes to her. She gave up fighting the urge and simply went with her instinct– ask him if he is okay. 

Yet, by the third knock, and call for his name, she was sure that he was ignoring her. Now, she wasn't sure what was happening, but to make sure she frantically pulled out her phone and shot him an email. 

"Kelly! Whatchya doin'?" John happily yelped from down the hall. 

Startled, she shoved her phone back into her purse and answered with a thumb to the door, "Is Daniels in his office?" 

"Nope! He went home early. Said he was feeling sick," John informed before twisting his lips with disappointment. "Know what's wrong with him? He's been pretty off for about the whole week so far."

"I'm... I'm not sure," Eliza grumbled while examining the ground. 

"It's sort of weird for him to be around and not smiling, laughing or just talking. Must be ill or something with family." John shoved his hands in his pockets and added, "I could have guessed that he might leave early today, though. Us guys went out to lunch and he wasn't looking well then either." 

"Really?" she asked without hesitation. 

"I mean he was just quiet, but then Andrew kept awkwardly picking at him and he got up real fast to go to the bathroom for ten minutes before coming back out and dismissing himself back to the building. So he didn't even eat lunch," John shrugged. 

"Who was picking at him again?" Eliza softly questioned, disbelieving whom he mentioned. 

"Andrew. You know how skeevy that kid can be. He's always thinking he is just playfully picking at us, and today he chose Troy." 

"Why would he do that? What did he say to him?" Eliza asked firmly. 

"I'll be honest Kelly, I don't remember," John sighed with a chuckle. "But it may have had something to do with a gal. I know he used to be engaged, so maybe Andrew hit a soft spot." 

Eliza had to hold back asking what John meant by "engaged". Of course, what he said was as clear as day, but her mind had this default habit of complicating simple messages. 

John swung up his arm and checked the time, before sighing,  "Well, I should probably be heading out soon too. Gotta pick up the baby on-time today. Not trying to pay another damn late fee. By the way how is your baby?" 

Eliza smiled, "Lulu is doing well. Was a little sick, but she's better now." 

The large, doe-eyed man clearly didn't expect such a detailed response. What most people considered small, passive talk, was sometimes an incredible display of expression for Eliza.