Chapter 36: Too Late

Naruto's P.O.V
Night Fall

Night settled in on the earth faster than we had expected, my eyes peeking outside of the cave we've been lounging in.

All day long, the sun has been keeping Sai, Ino and Sasuke from leaving the wonderful shelter we all found but now that it's nighttime…

Our plan can officially start…

I smirked, excitement filling my entire body. I've been so jittery and impatient all day, and now that it's time for us to officially start, I couldn't seem to contain my emotions. I smiled wide and large, just staring up at the night sky in anticipation.

Mm.. Just a little while longer…

I nodded but froze when a hand suddenly tapped my shoulder from behind, getting my attention immediately. The tap was soft and quite friendly which signaled that it wasn't one of the guys that touched me..

I grinned and turned around slowly to be met with Ino who I expected it to be all along, a kind smile rooted on her light pink lips.

I smiled back just as friendly, truly liking how I was deeply close to all of Hinata's friends. It felt good that they could trust me, even if I'm not like them.. That makes me appreciate them even more.

We need more people like them, in the world…

Suddenly though, I was broken out of my thoughts by Ino who cleared her throat, her body tittering and tottering back and forth on her feet.

"Well Naruto, the time is finally here. Are you ready?" She asked softly, quickly checking on what I felt for our upcoming mission. Because we all know, there's a chance that one of us could get hurt or, our plan could just fall apart. But I have total faith in our plan. It can't fail..

It won't..

So, I turned towards her with confidence in my blue eyes, my head nodding without any hesitation. "Of course I am, Ino. Tonight is the night, I'll reunite back with my mate… And put that Toneri bastard in the dirt, once and for all. We will finally, have peace, again." I responded back with seriousness coating my words, Ino's smile widening largely by them in agreement.

She eyed me brightly, moving over to give my shoulder a friendly pat. "You're definitely right, Naruto. And no matter what happens from here on out, we'll all be standing right there, with you. There's no more rivalry between us. No.. We'll fight, as one. Never, forget that." She commented back which warmed my whole body, causing me to feel accepted once more.

My heart fluttered at her heartwarming words, for I appreciated them very much. I cherished them, dearly.

I lowered my head and allowed myself to smile large and wide, one that would make me look like a total idiot. But at the moment, I just didn't care one bit.

The smile was done to only hold back the many tears that wanted to spill down my cheeks, undying happiness and relief flooding my entire being. This, has always been my dream.

To be accepted for who I, truly am…

I'm finally being looked at as a friend and not, as a stoic killing machine.. And that alone, has made me, the happiness being alive.

I chuckled softly before turning back to my mate's friend, giving her a satisfied nod. "Thank you, Ino." I spoke thankfully which made the blonde vampire giggle, her hand patting my shoulder once more.

"Oh you're welcome, Naruto. But I mean it. Really, I do." She added with a wide smile, one that arose the happiness in my whole entire being.

I smiled at her once more but just when I opened my mouth to try to say something to her previous response I was interrupted by a deep voice.