Sixteen

Coccinelle and Minou spend a little bit of time together before Minou gets up and smiles, “Well, I think I should go check on someone before it gets too late. He seemed pretty shaken up at the battle today, so…”

“Oh, sure. I’ll see you later, then?” Coccinelle says, not realizing that it was him.

“Of course! Thank you for inviting me.” Minou says, kissing him on the cheek, “It was a lot of fun, really.”

“I’m glad you said yes,” He says, then the words before finally clicking. “Are you going to their house right away?”

“Well, that was the plan!” Minou says with a laugh.

“Okay, okay. I was just making sure.”

“Well, bye! Let’s do this again sometime!” She says, jumping off to the rooftops.

Once she is out of sight, Coccinelle goes an alternative path towards his house, swinging as fast as he could. He quickly detransforms as he lands on the ground in an alleyway, starting to sprint towards his house and trying to stay out of sight from Minou. He ends up beating her there, coming through the door.

“Luka, where have you been?” Luka’s mother asks, “I’ve been worried sick about you!”

“Oh, I’m sorry, mom. There was an akuma and Chloe ran off, so I wanted to find her.”

“Did you end up finding her?” She asked.

“No, I didn’t… I’m sorry, I should’ve come home.” He mutters guiltily, realizing he didn’t look for Chloe after the akuma attack but went with Minou instead.

“I’m sure she’s alright, Luka. Your sister on the other hand…”

“Wait, what happened to Juleka?”

“Nothing! I hope. She hasn’t come back home yet, I thought you both were in trouble.”

“I’m sure she’s… Um…” He says, trying to make up an excuse for their dad.

Just then, there’s a knocking on the door. Luka looks at it weirdly, hoping Minou didn’t actually just knock on the door instead of just finding him later. His mother opens the door within seconds, hoping it’s her daughter.

Luka sees Juleka and Chloe standing at the door, Chloe looking at him with a familiar smile, a smile that says ‘I know something you don’t’ which just felt so odd to see on her. Juleka gets pulled in immediately by her mom, getting scolded at the way she scolded Luka moments earlier. She then turns to Chloe, “I’m sorry, dear, please come in. I was just so worried about the both of them, they’re everything to me.”

Chloe smiles at her and enters, “I wish that my mom felt that way about me.”

“I’m sure she does!”

“Yeah… Anyway, I ran into Juleka on my way home and I asked if I could come with her to discuss things with you, Mrs. Couffaine.”

“Of course, Chloe, what do you want to talk about?”

“I’m going to be upfront, so I wanted to give you a few seconds of preparation… so… Earlier, I took Juleka and Luka to meet their dad.”

“What??” She says, slight anger in her tone.

“Look, I know you and Jagger probably have had some problems that I don’t know about, but… Luka and Juleka need their dad. Trust me, having one loving parent can mean the whole world to you, but there are some things that one parent can’t teach. They’ve been curious for a long time about their father, and I know I should’ve been upfront with you about this before they had met with him, but… I was scared. I was scared to ruin your trust so soon after we had met initially, because… Not many people back then could even trust me a little bit. I understand if you’re upset with me-“