"O-oh, yes!" Lily stammers out before rummaging in her coat pockets and tossing me the two wands.

I pocket Sirius' wand and raise my own. "Accio broomstick!"

My Silver Arrow soars down the dormitory staircase and I grab it before rushing to the Common Room window, the gang sprinting after me.

"Wait a minute, what are you planning to do?" demands Remus, still looking like he's about to grab me and pin me down to prevent me from leaving.

I grab a textbook that someone left on the window sill and tuck it in the waistband of my trousers against my back. "I'm going to fly out of Hogwarts borders and then Portkey to the Malfoy Manor like Lucius did," I reply matter-of-factly.

"Hold on, isn't creating a Portkey illegal?" Lily exclaims.

I turn to grin at her. "You forget I'm a Vance, Lil. Rich pureblood megalomaniacs get away with everything. Send a letter to Mum for me will you, Sonata?" I add to my sister, who is standing a ways behind everyone else, looking overwhelmed. I can't blame her. Sonata's never been all that great during stressful situations.

"This is a pretty crazy plan, sis." She laughs nervously, as if trying to lighten the tension in the room. "Risking your life for Sirius? You're acting as though you actually like him."

It's the last sentence that finally gets to me.

Sixteen years. I've spent sixteen years letting Sonata live her carefree lifestyle and have whatever she wanted, simply because she always acted like she wanted them more than me and I didn't care enough to argue. Not anymore. Right now, I'm about to fly off and possibly get myself killed and, Merlin help me, I am not going to die letting this girl think she can take this one last thing away from me.

"You know what, you're right, Sonata," I say finally, uncaring that everyone else is watching. "I do like Sirius Black. I like him a lot. And for once in my life, I don't even care that you like him more or that you want him more than I do because he's the one thing I care too much about to let you have."

Sonata blinks, seemingly speechless.

"It doesn't matter that you're my sister," I continue simply, "if I have to fight you for him, I will."

I turn away from the stunned look on her face to push open the window and swing my leg over my broomstick. "If we don't come back by the morning, tell Dumbledore. Contact the Ministry." I kick off into the night sky. "Wish me luck!"

"DON'T GET YOURSELF KILLED, YOU CRAZY GIRL!" I hear Lily bellow from behind me.

I just throw her a wave over my shoulder before flattening my body against my broomstick and speeding towards the edge of the Forbidden Forest. My heart feels like it's going to pound right out of my chest, but, at this point, I welcomethe extra blood pumping through my veins. I'm not going to lie. I am bloody terrified.

Am I going to die tonight?

Is Sirius already dead?

What's happening in the wizarding world?

Is this the start of an all-out war?

Sirius, just be alive. Don't do anything brave or even bloody stupid. That's all I can think about right now. And some part of my mind hopes that our bodies are still connected enough for him to hear me.

Don't be a hero. Don't be a hero. Don't be a hero.

I spot a clearing in the forest some distance away from the castle grounds and throw myself into a steep dive before screeching to a stop and hopping off my broom.  I quickly pull the spare textbook out from the waistband of my jeans and point my wand at the cover.