4. Some Bad Luck

"So you're gonna—?"

"Yeah."

"With Sirius?"

"Yeah."

"Your parents...?"

"Yeah."

"So—?"

"Yeah."

"..."

"Yeah."

Lily heaves a great sigh. "Wow."

"Yeah." I mix around the remains of my soggy cereal, which now I am completely unwilling to eat. Why do bad things always happen to me?

Lily shakes her head at my depressed figure and pats my shoulder reassuringly. "Hey, don't worry about it, Cecilia! It'll get better!"

"Yeah." I pause. "Wait, I mean, no!" I protest, dropping my spoon with a clang, "I'm gonna have to marry Sirius Black, the womanizer of the century! How on earth is that going to get any better?"

Lily shrugs. "Oh, I don't know," she says as she bites off another piece of her toast. "Maybe it's a different Black. I mean, Sirius doesn't treat you better than he does to any other girl, so maybe there's another relative we don't know about or..."

"You know what, you're right." I stand up abruptly. "I'm gonna confront this guy about this today. I'm gonna ask Sirius if he knows about it and if he doesn't, then maybe I can get my parents to rethink this bullshi—"

"What're you guys talking about?" I feel a hand on my shoulder and spin around.

Upon seeing who it is, I let out a relieved sigh and sit back down. "G'mornin', Remus," I reply in a melancholic tone as the rest of the crew moseys down towards us.

Huh... except Sirius. Wonder where he is.

Remus sits down next to me and answers as if he just read my mind. "If you're wondering where Sirius is," he says with an amused smile, "he's outside the Great Hall, on the right, behind the statue of Bartalemy the Berserker." Odd name for a statue. "We were unfortunate enough to crash into them when we were trying to escape from McGonagall."

James sits down across from Lily and grins at her. "Some dung bombs slipped from my hand. Accident, I swear!"

Lily folds her arms and turns away from him. "So immature..." she mutters, the words at odds with how her face immediately turned bright pink at the prospect of James sitting next to her for breakfast. 

My eyebrows raise and I suppress a smile. How intriguing...

"Well anyway, we kind of saw something we probably shouldn't have seen behind that particular statue," Remus continues as he takes a bite out of an apple. "James and I are pretty much used to it. Peter on the other hand..."

Peter slumps down onto the bench, gasping. "Scarred me for life."

I'm about to make a witty comment about Sirius' perverse depravity when Remus reaches over my arms to grab a couple sheets of paper.

"Ah ha, our schedules!" he says as he hands one to each of us. "How could you guys miss these? They were right in front of your faces!"

Does he actually expect me to answer that truthfully? Too lazy to even look at it, I place the class schedule back on the table. "Er, we were talking about... stuff," I reply awkwardly.

He raises his eyebrows at my vague answer. "Stuff, huh?"

Suddenly, Remus leans in and looks straight into my eyes. His face was so close to mine that I noticed he had green flecks in his chestnut brown eyes.