20. Gifts Worth Giving

It felt particularly warm under the covers, despite the fact that it was the middle of winter.

Strange.

I generally have horrible circulation, so how is it possible that I feel almost unbearably warm right now? No, not unbearably. Comfortably. More comfortable than I ever felt in a bed. Well, my bed. But this doesn't even feel like my bed. For one thing... this bed seems to be breathing. And it doesn't feel soft and cushiony, but instead more... solid. I must be imagining it. Definitely imagining it.

But before I can roll over and get a few more minutes of shut-eye, the door suddenly bursts open and loud voices fill the room.

"Sirius dear, I wanted to speak to you about—oh my word!"

"Merlin's beard, Mrs. Black. What do you make of this?"

"Well, Mr. Black, we can only assume the best. They have been involved for quite some time after all!"

"But at this age?"

"Oh, come dear. They've made such progress!"

Why are people yelling this early in the morning? I'm trying to sleep! And what are they talking about in my room anyway? I'm not their son... or wait.

As I slowly open my eyes, I hear the soft slamming of the door and then a completely different voice coming from somewhere above my head. 

"Blimey, they sure got the wrong idea about us. Not that I mind."

SIRIUS BLACK?!

My eyes snap open and suddenly every detail of why his parents were so awestruck strikes me. I was literally hugging him like a body pillow. My arms wrapped tightly around his torso and my head rested on his chest. Not to mention our clothes were predictably disheveled from our previous night's sleep. Actually... more accurate would probably be "inappropriately disheveled."

I immediately let out an ear-splitting shriek and scoot away from him on the bed before promptly falling right off.

"Whoa, you alright there?" I hear Sirius laughing from his place still on the bed.

"Yes—I mean, no!" I jump up and grab the blanket I fell over with, using it as an inadequate shield against the playboy. "Bloody hell, you were awake this whole time?!"

Sirius sits up in his bed with a yawn, not bothering to fix his own clothes. "Yeah, pretty much. Why?"

"Why didn't you wake me up? Or push me off? Or even just get off your own bed?" I babble wildly. "What were you doing, just watching me sleep?"

Sirius just grins before repeating, "Yeah, pretty much. Why?"

"YOU FREAK, YOU WERE REALLY WATCHING ME SLEEP?"

"You looked funny." He shrugs, starting to laugh again at my manic behavior. Okay, so maybe I'm overreacting just a little bit, but—wait a minute... I looked funny?

I take a quick glance down at myself before looking back up at the perpetrator, who now sat leaned back on his bed with his arms propped behind him. "What did you do to me last night?" I demand, my eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"Nothing really." Sirius gives me an amused look. "What, do you not remember?"

"Well..."

My mind flashes back to those last few moments in the early morning. What exactly happened after... hmm, that's not right... no way... I actually don't remember? I can't believe it! How could I completely forget something like this!

"Chances are it was so bad that my mind doesn't even want me to remember..." I mutter under my breath.

Sirius snorts at my disbelieving answer. "Okay, I swear to everything holy that it's not what you're imagining, whatever that is." He puts his hands up in surrender. "It was really small, honest! And I even told you the answer to your question! If that doesn't ring a bell, then it's your problem, not mine."