Eight Point Five

“She left a strap-on this time.”

Bailey’s statement startles me, and I look up from the file in my hands. “She left something?” I feel like I'm the last one to know everything that’s going on with this case all of a sudden. If I was told about the death, I would have been at the crime scene. Apparently they all already canvased the scene.

She nodded, dropping a picture of it on the table. “From what I can tell, there’s blood on it, and they're testing to see if all of the blood is from the victim or if some of it is from our unsub.” I can tell that she wants to say something more, but I don’t know if she knows what to say.

I don’t know what to say, either.

Nodding my head, I shrug my shoulders. “Her attacks are becoming about sex. Her love is no longer enough. We made the comment and it made her angry. She needed to show us that she truly loves these women. Sex is a passionate form of love. To some, sex is the greatest symbol of love. Do you know if the victim was alive during the rape?”

“From what we could see, yes. Someone is looking into it at the lab, and said that we’ll know the answer by tomorrow.” His voice startles me, only because I thought everyone was still out. I know that half of my team went to inform the family of the victim, and the other half was interviewing neighbors. I could have sworn that Hotch’s team was still at the crime scene, going over different scenarios of how it could have happened.

Turning to look at him, I nod my head. “Thank you. As soon as they get the results back from the lab about the blood, please let me know.” The last statement is directed to Bailey, and she knows it, because she agrees to do just that.

“I'm going to go and see what they have on the body. We rushed the autopsy and I want to be there when they look at the victim. I want to make sure that we don’t have a copycat on our hands. I can see how the rape thing would make sense, but I just want to make sure. One unsub is a lot better than two on the loose.” She doesn’t have to justify herself, because I was just about to ask her to go and check out what they’ve determined.

“Thank you, Bailey. Call me if you think we have a copycat. If not, stay there until they're finished and come back with the report, please.”

In less than a minute, Spencer and I are alone.

I've never been intimidated. I've been face to face with serial killers, serial rapists. They never really scared me. I wasn’t afraid of them. They couldn’t do anything to me.

But, Spencer Reid, he intimidates me.

And I'm torn, because I don’t know if I like it or not.