Chapter 8

(A/N: I KNOW. I AM A HORRIBLE HUMAN. I AM SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING UNTIL NOW- SCHOOL IS STARTING SOON!! HERE'S THE EIGHTH CHAPTER, DON'T KILL MEEEEEE T__T)

"But what if I run out of fertilizer? What if the clouds run out of rain? What if Lemon Boy won't grow no longer? What if beaches dry of sugar cane? Oh well." 

- "Lemon Boy", Cavetown

"Daddy! Daddy!"

You saw your eight year old self, pink in the face from the hot weather, running toward a tall male figure. Your breath caught in your throat.

Dad?

You saw him turn, a smile on his weathered features. "What is it, pumpkin?" He asked you, patting your head gently.

"Daddy, why don't the clouds run out of rain?" You asked, looking up at the gray bank of clouds rolling through the sky like massive lint rollers.

Your father smiled wider, crouching down next to you. "That's the thing. The clouds can never run out of rain. Just like my love for you, pumpkin." He patted your head again. You could feel the calluses of his hands, rough and plentiful from working hard.

"That's so cool." You whispered, looking up at the sky. It seemed endlessly blue, and you wondered if it ever ended. Just like a cloud's supply of rain. "When I grow up, I want to be smart, just like you, Daddy!!" You exclaimed.

Your father sighed, looking up at the clouds with you. "You're already smart, pumpkin. Very smart indeed."

"But school is hard. Doesn't that make me dumb? That's what all the other kids say." You looked up at him, puzzled. You remembered the hard lines of his face, and how they dipped and morphed with each passing mood.

Your father frowned down at you. "Well, then, that's their mistake, isn't it, pumpkin. Parroting out the information you've read to humor your teachers doesn't make you smart. That's just memorization." He pulled out a bottle of some unknown liquid, taking a swig. "What makes a person smart boils down to three main points: rationalization, logic, and flexibility. And you've got all three of those, when you want to." There he smiled wryly. "I reckon you'll make a legendary cloud gazer, if you want."

Your vision went black, and you felt weightless. Floating.

Tap.

Tap.

Tap.

You frowned, confused. What an annoying sound, you thought to yourself.

Tap.

Tap.

After the final tap you realized that a sensation accompanied each sound, the feeling of your shoulder having gentle pressure being put on it.

You switched back into reality when you heard a slightly worried voice say, "(Y/N)!"

You turned around to see Jon, holding a book under his arm and a finger raised, poised for another tap. "Where'd you go? You were, like, a million miles away."

"I'm sorry." You replied. "I guess I spaced out."

"What'd you see?"

"Memories."

"The good kind or the bad kind?"

"I'm not too sure yet."

"Okay." Jon replied, still looking worried. "Are you sure you're alright?"

You nodded. "Sure." You tried to get a glimpse of the book he was carrying, to no avail. Finally, you asked: "What's that you've got there?"

Jon looked down to the book under his arm as well, correctly interpreting the object in question. "Oh, this? This is the Kingdom Hearts manga I was looking for." He said happily. "I can't believe they have it!"

You smiled at his happiness, forgetting about the strange and random daydream you had just pulled out of for the time being. "I'm glad you found it...Jelly bean."

Jon just gave you a weird look. "Please tell me that was not the nickname you are planning on giving me."

"What? Not macho enough for you? You giggle, amused.

"No, it just sounds weird." Jon grumbled.

"And duckling isn't?"

"Shut up, (L/N), or I will scalp you." 

"Oooh, let's not get too kinky, now."

"I swear to God, we need to go home before I literally murder you."

"I love you too, Jelly bean."

another A/N: Well, there you go. Sorry if it isn't super long, this is another one of those filler chapters. I really hope you like it! Can we get it to eight comments this time? Just an experiment. \(0o0)/